021 air filter does not fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought this saw missing several pieces. The saw came with the black plastic air filter base...but, it was missing the filter.

I bought a used filter, and it clicks right into the base, as one would expect. But, the filter is clearly too tall to fit under the top cover. Yet, the filter, more or less, looks like the one in the IPL and the after market ones for sale here and there.

The filter does not have a PN stamped on it. Do I just have the wrong filter?

Help, please.

RoyToo tall.jpegHits filter.jpeg

Well, the combination of the black filter base and the tan/white filter seems to be about 3/4" too tall. The first pic shows the top of the filter sitting above the top plastic. And, the second pic shows the filter cover sitting right on top of the filter...that big ol' gap is how much the filter assembly is "too tall."

I guess, the saw could have come with the wrong black plastic filter base. Or, I have a filter which is, maybe, twice the height it should be.

????

OK, my filter housing is PN 1123 124 3500.

When I search for that PN, it shows as correct for the 021, but the pics/diagrams show the part to be "less tall" than mine.

???

I looked back to see if there was a different part number for the base that used the foam insert filter, didn't see a different number, but the base seems to not be seperate for some reason, just the whole assy.

Twice height.jpeg

I bet that .75" should be about half that.

Maybe there was an extra-tall base for the foam filter???

It seems I could: buy the correct base, cut my base down, or be bad-ass and run her without the filter cover plastic. Pretend I have some super-dupper intake set-up.

That 1/2" looks like what I need. There are plenty of those available for cheap (both used and AM).

My top cover had the internal fins, the TSB mentioned, and I will probably have to cut them out.

I will report back after I get her running.

Thanks, Harley.

OK, I will summarize what I have found, and describe what I have done.

There seem to have been three filter set-ups on these saws.

1. Clam-like filter which looks like the 026 filter. No base required, 1123 120 1620. Maybe, first gen???

2. Block of foam which fits into the tall filter holder. This saw came with a filter top cover with internal fins which, maybe, held the foam in place. Filter holder 1123 124 3500...pictured in Post 15. The foam is 1123 124 0800.

3. Quanset-hut-shaped filter....1123 120 1612. This set-up uses the low-profile filter holder shown in Post 18...they did not change the PN of the holder. Harley's TSB describes changing from the foam to the newer filter...one needs the low profile holder and one must cut the fins out of the top cover.

As I owned the new type filter and the old hi-pro holder, I was out of luck. But, rather than buying a new holder for several bucks, I cut my holder down to the size of the low-profile one and it works fine. I used a 3" cut-off tool and a belt sander. I also cut the fins...using, as suggested by the TSB, dikes followed by a die grinder. As the TSB mentions...it is very tight under that cover.

Thanks for all the help, Harley!

Roy

Back