023 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flh69

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 023 Sthil that will not even try to start. Installed new plug. Cleaned the flywheel & ignition contacts & reset the air gap. The piston looks good thru the exhaust port. I have bottle fed it thru the carb. I have bottle fed it thru the plug hole. I checked the spark with a spark tester that has a window. The spark looks weak but I really don't know how it should look using this tester.

Take out the plug. Turn upside down and pull for a while. Dry off plug or put new in and DON'T choke it. Turn on ignition and hold throttle down and pull vigorously until it goes. Continue with full throttle until it clears and runs correctly then let idle.

DON'T choke it. Turn on ignition and hold throttle down and pull vigorously until it goes. Continue with full throttle until it clears and runs correctly then let idle.
Thanks for your reply. I let it sit over night. Didn't take the plug , just held the throttle open with the choke open and pulled. It burped on the second pull & fired on the third. It smoked and stuttered & then smoothed out. I am not a mechanic by any means but I tinker with small engines for myself & friends. Never had that problem before.

Back