026 bar getting hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well my 026 has been running really good then i did a dumb think and used it to cut 6 15" roots from a gum tree stump. I know i ran it into the dirt numerous times while i was doing it. I cleaned the bar and chain with degreaser and a brush and used air to blow out the bar guide. The bar has no lip at the top and i dress it whenever i feel one starting. The bar is usually wet with oil and now it is dry i drained the bar oil and cleaned the tank with gas and ran it with gas in the bar oil tank to clean it. i can see oil coming out of the tube but the bar is still dry.
not sure if i ruined the bar and or chain. Bar holes and groove are all clean and the chain is clean. Didnt want to try a new chain if a bad bar would ruin it. any suggestions to try?

Dull chain is murder to the bar. Try using an axe to knock off dirt. Usually knock off most of the bark where I’ll be cutting too. Chain too tight will generate some warmth, but it’s probably the work. Cutting stumps as low as possible makes heat. I keep an old dishsoap squirt bottle of bar oil just for stumps, just squirt it on the chain. I really baby my longer bars.

Dull chain is murder to the bar. Try using an axe to knock off dirt. Usually knock off most of the bark where I’ll be cutting too. Chain too tight will generate some warmth, but it’s probably the work. Cutting stumps as low as possible makes heat. I keep an old dishsoap squirt bottle of bar oil just for stumps, just squirt it on the chain. I really baby my longer bars.
forgot to mention i am done cutting the stump up this is on a fresh downed maple tree.

Well my 026 has been running really good then i did a dumb think and used it to cut 6 15" roots from a gum tree stump. I know i ran it into the dirt numerous times while i was doing it. I cleaned the bar and chain with degreaser and a brush and used air to blow out the bar guide. The bar has no lip at the top and i dress it whenever i feel one starting. The bar is usually wet with oil and now it is dry i drained the bar oil and cleaned the tank with gas and ran it with gas in the bar oil tank to clean it. i can see oil coming out of the tube but the bar is still dry.
not sure if i ruined the bar and or chain. Bar holes and groove are all clean and the chain is clean. Didnt want to try a new chain if a bad bar would ruin it. any suggestions to try?
Usmc98 - that it is an 026 caught my attention. i have an 026, bot NIB 1997, still looks and runs like new but now with a new fuel pump. that you can see oil coming out of the saw's port but the bar is still dry would bother me. i would have to wonder why, want to know why... and look further into that break in the link.... I was just where u r talking about today with one of my Echo's. cleaning and resetting jumped chain. port wet with oil. :) good luck with your 026 oiling.... [USMC70]

good tip, b - s!

If your chain has stretched a bit or the sprocket bearings have gone so the chain is riding on the bar tip rather than the sprocket you may be adjusting the tensioner to the point the bar oil hole is past the oil feed slot

Just hold the tip WOT near some cardboard, if it leaves an oil spray line it's all good, it is the definitive test.

It would still throw some oil. End up being the chain, it looked fine and i degreased also the oiler was still over the hole in the bar so that was not it. swapped chains and now it has oil.

You clean the crud out of the bar rails? Not just air or solvent, but with a putty knife, then air.

Ok on all that stuff...It's possible the petrol you used to clean out the system was rapidly evaporating and not clinging to the chain...presuming also it was beigng pumped-out and not just 'running out'.....in that case the pump may not be working...or working as it must.

Back