026 rim sprocket and bar swap with 036 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuck1016

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all , Steve again so I have a 026 with a .325 /7 rim sprocket that had a ripped intake boot , but this saw has a bar and chain and I also have a 036 Pro that runs fine however I don’t have a bar for this saw , I’m pretty poor so I can’t really afford to go buy a new bar right now my question is can I take the 3/8-7 rim sprocket off the 036 and put the .325-7 sprocket from the 026 on it ? And just use that bar and the new chain that I have until I can afford to fix the intake boot and get a new bar for the 036 pro ? I appreciate any advice

The 026 takes the small 7 spline rim. I am not sure if the 036 takes the small spline or the standard spline. As huskihl said if they are the same spline then you are good to go.

It seems to fit very well my chain is tensioned properly (I think ) and I can move it freely it doesn’t catch anything , I don’t want to wake up my neighbors they are an elderly couple or I’d start it and check , but so far so good , I will report back tomorrow with the outcome and thank you very much for the info I appreciate it

The 036, in its stock condition, takes a small spline rim. It's a direct swap. The 026 can be configured to run a micro spline, and the 036 can be configured to run a standard spline so if you bought either one of them used, it may not be a direct swap. If both are set up like they are from the factory, then you're good to go. I'd probably recommend dropping $5 on a .325-8 pin rim for it.

I actually run the same bar and chain on my 026 and 036 saws for the same reasons you're dealing with. I have no reason to run different size bars and chains on them so its nice to be able to steal parts from one of them if I need to (saw stuck in tree, pinched/damaged bar, saw not running). I've modified my 036 to run a standard spline rim so that I can use a .325-9pin on it, but the bar and chains still swap, and I could go back to the stock setup quickly if I needed to.

Thank you so much it definitely makes sense to me having them both set up to run the same bar/chain ,& I definitely will get a new sprocket next week as of now my 026 has a torn intake boot but it’s on its way and the 036 is running fairly decent I’m cutting in just a min right now the experience I’m getting about chainsaws and 2 strokes in general is awesome I am really surprised how much I enjoy working on these saws and learning to hand file chains

036 could be small or medium spline clutch drum. 026 is small.

If the 036 is small spline the rim will swap, the B/C will swap, but you need proper pitch rim for B/C

The two 036 drums/rims in 3/8

View attachment 1034235
An 036 can actually be all 3. Early ones came with the micro Stihl sprocket. And then there was an upgrade kit to run the 044 drum, which is standard rim. If at any time the micro spline rim/drum got replaced with Oregon, it could be running the Oregon small size lol.

An 036 can actually be all 3. Early ones came with the micro Stihl sprocket. And then there was an upgrade kit to run the 044 drum, which is standard rim. If at any time the micro spline rim/drum got replaced with Oregon, it could be running the Oregon small size lol.
Good to know. I knew that one of the 036 family members was available with a standard spline, but I had never seen a medium size spline at all. Mine both originally had a small spline, but have been converted to a standard spline so that I can run the 9 pin rims.

Good to know. I knew that one of the 036 family members was available with a standard spline, but I had never seen a medium size spline at all. Mine both originally had a small spline, but have been converted to a standard spline so that I can run the 9 pin rims.
You can buy small spline 9 pin rims but they are pricing.

If you need a bar i can ship you it 20 inch 3/8 50 gauge. I run all .63 gauge so it useless to me
Well that is a great offer by a great person. :) Just the way the site should work. I have to order a bunch of gears and rims from Danzco and could pass them on at cost but my cost is the same as anyone else's since shipping on 1 is the same as 10.

The 036, in its stock condition, takes a small spline rim. It's a direct swap. The 026 can be configured to run a micro spline, and the 036 can be configured to run a standard spline so if you bought either one of them used, it may not be a direct swap. If both are set up like they are from the factory, then you're good to go. I'd probably recommend dropping $5 on a .325-8 pin rim for it.

I actually run the same bar and chain on my 026 and 036 saws for the same reasons you're dealing with. I have no reason to run different size bars and chains on them so its nice to be able to steal parts from one of them if I need to (saw stuck in tree, pinched/damaged bar, saw not running). I've modified my 036 to run a standard spline rim so that I can use a .325-9pin on it, but the bar and chains still swap, and I could go back to the stock setup quickly if I needed to.
I wanna say the last few years of the 036 uses the standard spline rim sprockets. That’s how mine is anyway and it’s the last model year 036 if that makes sense. They switched up the bearing which is larger OD and the splined portion of the drum is also larger.

I wanna say the last few years of the 036 uses the standard spline rim sprockets. That’s how mine is anyway and it’s the last model year 036 if that makes sense. They switched up the bearing which is larger OD and the splined portion of the drum is also larger.
Yep I bought the 036 I have in 1990 or so, new, and it came with standard spline and etc. Don't know about any earlier years....

Back