026 vs 028 For First Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll also recommend a set of chaps. A- they keep the saw dust out of your boots, B - They save you a trip to the ER when you have a VERY brief laps in situational awareness. I know 2 people who WISH they had invested in chaps. I like the helmet too, ESPECIALLY if you're going to fell dead trees.

As far as saws go, if you're actually looking for an 028, cut your budget to $150. I've seen good ones sell for this price. My dad has one that he bought around '93. The original carb had some issues from the factory, but a local 2 stroke mechanic replaced it and it's been a great saw ever since. Not quite as light as an 026, but certainly a great firewood saw in its day.

As others have said, I prefer the 026 to the 261. I bought mine, in good condition, for $250 several years ago and I love it. Not as fast as my 036 for bucking rounds, but also not as heavy. Great for cutting stuff that's not gong to need to be split, but also plenty good enough to use as a primary firewood saw.

I only have experience with Stihl saws, but there are plenty of other good brands out there that have been mentioned already. Just make sure you avoid the big box store saws regardless of brand.
+1 on the PPE. I am not a fan of trips to the ER. I wear chaps or chainsaw pants, listed boots, protective shirt or vest and hard hat with ear protection. Last year had an 5" Widowmaker square off with the helmet. I am probably an inch shorter now but was really glad I had the stuff on, even after the stars faded.

Hello, I noticed that there are a couple 026's for sale in the trading section that are within my price range or just a little more that have shipping already included. Would you guys consider buying a saw that you haven't actually gone and looked at? How do I verify that it's actually all legit? Is there some kind of buyer protection like there is with ebay? Thanks for all of your help!
Courage

just buy a ms 261 , and be done ...........
What he said. Don't worry so much about the $ up front. Know that you are getting a good product with widely available parts and support in the long run. Also factor in power to weight ratio.

Hey guys, I ran across 2 saws and now I don't know which one to get! They're the same price, $250. One's an 026 that has good compression, and the other is a ms261 that the guy says has been used only a few times. The reason for my delima is that I am more familiar with the older style of saw, but the other one is newer. Is the ms261 a pro saw? Is it easily rebuildable? Which one will have longer parts availability? Is one of them just a superior design? Thanks! Hopefully y'all will agree so that my decision is easy, but answer honestly.Screenshot_20211229-170312.pngIMG_20211229_160227.jpg

run, don't walk to the 261. I don't think that one is m-tronic? Is it?

and yes it is a pro saw.

if you happen upon a 353 or 346 or 2152 or 2153 along the way, then get that.

Hey guys, I ran across 2 saws and now I don't know which one to get! They're the same price, $250. One's an 026 that has good compression, and the other is a ms261 that the guy says has been used only a few times. The reason for my delima is that I am more familiar with the older style of saw, but the other one is newer. Is the ms261 a pro saw? Is it easily rebuildable? Which one will have longer parts availability? Is one of them just a superior design? Thanks! Hopefully y'all will agree so that my decision is easy, but answer honestly.
Assuming there's no scoring, it's a no-brainer for me - the 261. It's in great cosmetic condition and does look like a low hour saw, the 026 not so much.
That said, if at all possible, pull the muffler to check for piston/cylinder scoring. That advice goes for any used saw you buy. If buyer won't allow that, at least do the drop test for compression - hold the rope pull handle and let saw drop. It should go down VERY slowly with pauses in the motion. If it drops in a smooth, uninterrupted motion, you're likely buying a saw that needs fixing and so try to get a price break.

Assuming there's no scoring, it's a no-brainer for me - the 261. It's in great cosmetic condition and does look like a low hour saw, the 026 not so much.
That said, if at all possible, pull the muffler to check for piston/cylinder scoring. That advice goes for any used saw you buy. If buyer won't allow that, at least do the drop test for compression - hold the rope pull handle and let saw drop. It should go down VERY slowly with pauses in the motion. If it drops in a smooth, uninterrupted motion, you're likely buying a saw that needs fixing and so try to get a price break.
what he said.

How do I tell if it's m-tronic?
Typically the MT versions have a 261 C on the starter emblem. This saw lacks the C. If the bar side were visible, you'd see holes in the shroud for a adjusting the carb or else no holes for an MT model.
My money is on this saw being an adjustable carb model, not MT.

Well, at your guys' advice I was going to get the ms261, but it sold before I was able to get it. 😳 The guy with the 026 is a member of a different forum that I'm part of, so I don't think he'd be likely to knowingly hose me since there is a seller review section that is used frequently. Do you guys think that the 026 is a good buy? Or should I keep looking? Thanks!

In a nutshell the 026, 260 and 261 are all basically the same saw with newer upgrades.
$250 for the 260 IMHO is not a good deal but probably a fair deal if in good running condition, I would try offering something in the $175-200 range and see.

In a nutshell the 026, 260 and 261 are all basically the same saw with newer upgrades.
$250 for the 260 IMHO is not a good deal but probably a fair deal if in good running condition, I would try offering something in the $175-200 range and see.
Agree completely on pricing, not quite as much that they're the "same saw."

If the 260 is pristine it is worth more than 250, imo. Especially if it non m-tronic and only if it is completely original and low hours. How much is a new 261?

but then I bought a very low hour 2152 in nearly new condition for 160.00 a few years ago.. I prefer it over the 260 or the 261.

too bad you missed that 261. It looks clean in the pic. Oh well. I keep advising you to keep your eyes peeled for various brands and models, not just Stihls. Anyway...

If the 260 is pristine it is worth more than 250, imo. Especially if it non m-tronic and only if it is completely original and low hours. How much is a new 261?

but then I bought a very low hour 2152 in nearly new condition for 160.00 a few years ago.. I prefer it over the 260 or the 261.

too bad you missed that 261. It looks clean in the pic. Oh well. I keep advising you to keep your eyes peeled for various brands and models, not just Stihls. Anyway...
I have seen the 261 going for $550 online.

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right section to be posting this in... Feel free to move it or tell me how to if I posted it in the wrong section. My parents gave me $300 for my 18th birthday to go buy my first chain saw with. The only chainsaw I've used has been my dad's 036. He was thinking I would want an 028 or an 026. From reading a bunch about those 2 saws, I had decided that I wanted an 026 because of it being lighter and newer. After searching for a while though (since the beginning of October), I've realized that most of the 026's in our area that are for sale need to be rebuilt, while there are 3 028's that (according to the sellers) are ready to go. Would you guys hold out for an 026, or buy one of the 028's? This saw will be my only saw for a while, but eventually I will probably get something bigger. Most of the trees we cut down and buck up are 12" and smaller. I would like to be able to keep this saw going for as long as possible because of it being a gift so I know that parts availability is important, but I'm not sure which is better for that...
I would appreciate any and all advice! I'm leaning towards an 0 series Stihl, but if you have a different recommendation I'd like to hear it and your reason behind it so that I can consider all my recommended options! Thanks in advance!
Courage
I have both and use the 026 almost exclusively - 16" bar. Only use the 28 for cutting really big logs with the 18" bar. Its just a bit bigger and harder for me to handle with a bad back. So - I would go with the 026.

Tim

Latest posts

Back