028 AV Super project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebay. use the part numbers to search. I couldn't find them OEM just searching using the model number of the saw. by using the seal part numbers I found out a series of Stihl backpack blowers uses the same part number crank seals. they are Stihl BR400 BR420 BR320 BR340 BR380. I looked up an IPL for the BR400 and sure enough. do your own research though.
You can stihl get, the BR400 gasket set from Stihl dealer for ~$22.

Let me ask you something. When revealing a 028av super what all gaskets and seals do I look for? I haven't done a leak test I just thought I would do it before anything happens to a great running saw. I just thought with it hot right now I can get by with just my 462 for now.

Let me ask you something. When revealing a 028av super what all gaskets and seals do I look for? I haven't done a leak test I just thought I would do it before anything happens to a great running saw. I just thought with it hot right now I can get by with just my 462 for now.
Have a look at @Vintage Engine Repairs video on pressure/vac testing. Tom did a right nice job.

You are looking at: case/base gaskets, seals, intake boot, and impulse line.

P.S. another 028S owner here I've had it since 1980s.

if you aren't going to split the cases then crank seals, base gasket, exhaust gasket. the carb rubber boot acts as the carb gasket so if it's not torn its ok. like the professor said, if a gasket kit has the crank seals and all the above then it's usually a better deal and you just won't use the center gasket for the cases. obviously, a kit for the br400 won't have the right center gasket anyway.

as I mentioned above, this saw came with an almost new Stihl bar and chain but in 20". is that a little long for this model? I have a good 16" chain but would have to buy a bar.

as I mentioned above, this saw came with an almost new Stihl bar and chain but in 20". is that a little long for this model? I have a good 16" chain but would have to buy a bar.
Nice clean work. :)

Hard to find, but they make a rim drive chain sprocket clutch drum.

It will run 20" but don't lean on it or take the rakers down. 16" 0.325 is the sweet spot, I'd stay away from any 3/8 B/C on 028 too.

That little saw should last your life. Lets see it in some hard wood!!!

I already bought the NOS spur sprocket in .325, it'll work fine. LOL I just did the 036 refurb so I didn't really need this saw but for 50 bucks I couldn't pass. I'll get the 16" bar and call this my small saw. don't need a really big saw. hell, I don't need more than one saw and I have 4 all of a sudden if I get the Super Pro 70 working. I'm freaking hooked dammit. :baba:

think I'm going to give my little 340 husky to my buddy. he needs to clean up around his place and has no saw and no money.

I was looking at one of those older Oregon bars with the mountain logo and "made in Canada in 16", brand new on ebay. or rural king has the Stihl E bar in 16" for 42.95.

well, as soon as I started pulling the starter, fuel started pouring out of the muffler onto the floor. a lot. I just installed a walbro brand carb kit. the kit had an all-metal float needle and the one I took out had a rubber tip. called it a night but that's my suspicion.

got great spark. one thing I noticed, when the carb passed the pressure test I had it off the saw and had the impulse inlet capped. when I took the cap off and pressure tested it again it would not hold pressure. the service manual does not address plugging the impulse inlet.

Latest posts

Back