028 oil pump question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelhamjeff

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have this 028 wood boss that had a worn out spot on the gear inside the pump. Since the pump is no longer available from stihl, I went with an aftermarket pump and it looks right except for that seal. This is where it gets confusing to me. Since the old pump had no seal, I kind of want to pop the seal out of the new one and put it together and see how it does. The gear that drives the pump is made with a shoulder that fits perfectly in the old pump and would probably fit the new pump if I take the seal out. But part of me wonders if it will blow oil out around the gear if I take that seal out. Is there a different gear I can get that is made for the seal? Any help would be appreciated!
028 pumps.jpg

Somebody pm'd me and said maybe I should include who I bought the new pump from. The brand is proline and the ebay seller was Sawzilla. Maybe someone else has been down this road on an 028 WB oil pump made by Proline and bought from Sawzilla. It's also interesting to me that when I look at used 028 oil pumps on ebay, the ones that end in 0405 (which mine is) never have an oil seal. Which makes me feel like I could yank the seal out of this new one and be in business. Where's all the Stihl experts? What ever happened to Lakeside?

I would say no. Otherwise they would have just added the seal instead of a whole new pump.
View attachment 899151
What's the deal with that other pump though? The one with no seal. An earlier version maybe? An earlier version that leaked and was replaced by the 2nd design that uses a seal? If that's the deal, I will get a gear that goes with the new pump.

Latest posts

Back