028 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushswamper523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good evening fellas,

I haven't posted in awhile so I wanted to ask peoples opinion. I just finished a 028 super WB and wanted to know what people thought of them?

I got it from a yard sale the previous owner couldn't keep it running. Come to find out it had a seal leak on the clutch side and the bearing was trashed. It was a fun little build and my first bottom end rebuild. Parts were hard to find oem so I had to go aftermarket, should have checked around here come to think of it (oh well).

Well let me know what you think.

I have owned several 028 wbs and Supers through the years.I think the WB is 49ccs.Top of the line saws when they first came out.Keep a spare intake boot handy and you should be good

All the 028`s are real workhorses, not a saw for racing but they have great torque, the homeowner firewood cutters around here adore them. that means they see no maintenance until something breaks or the saw won`t run at all. They are very tolerant of having old fuel left in them and will start reliably even after setting for months just the way they were left after a cutting splurge.

The 028 is one of my favorite Stihl's .I've got about 3 and I've got one that is probably 40 years old with a 16 inch bar and it's my go to saw for the firewood lot even though I have later models.
It's the old points type 028 with no chain brake. I had to replace a condenser, carb kit, chains and a rubber isolator over the years and it's outside case looks like it's been run over by a freight train and no paint at all on the bar. It would get a lots of rejecting if in a yard sale, but still runs and cuts better than the newer models. My least favorite Stihl is my 025 type. Hard to crank, sounds tinny when running and just not a good fit for me.
I've found that storing a chainsaw in a building that gets hot in summertime, especially one of them metal storage pods and not operating the saw every once is what usually makes them get sick.

All the 028`s are real workhorses, not a saw for racing but they have great torque, the homeowner firewood cutters around here adore them. that means they see no maintenance until something breaks or the saw won`t run at all. They are very tolerant of having old fuel left in them and will start reliably even after setting for months just the way they were left after a cutting splurge.

I did a one day job with a climber I'd never work for again. I was sent on my own to work a small strip alone. The rest of the guys worked a ravine, with a 50'+ straight drop.

They came back up at the end of the day with an 026 that the climber had dropped years before and never recovered.

He gave it a few pulls and the damn thing started up and ran fine. Even with years' old gas and full exposure to the elements.

I did a one day job with a climber I'd never work for again. I was sent on my own to work a small strip alone. The rest of the guys worked a ravine, with a 50'+ straight drop.

They came back up at the end of the day with an 026 that the climber had dropped years before and never recovered.

He gave it a few pulls and the damn thing started up and ran fine. Even with years' old gas and full exposure to the elements.
Yes to that the arborist guys I see around here don`t take much better care of their saws than homeowners do, they just run them more often but I to have seen 028`s sit for years with old stale mix in them and they start right back up with a few pulls. I have ten or more 026`s here at all times, they are a great saw but not quite what an 028 was.Most of my own 026`s have ported out cylinders and are a bit more finicky on tuning when the weather changes but they will start easily on any day but to keep them on the ragged edge of hi perf they need the screwdriver if the temp, humidity or air pressure changes.

I have noticed there is a huge following for them. It is a my first one but i would defiantly get another one.( hell who am I kidding I wouldn't pass up any saw lol). The saw was very fun to build and I didn't think it would clean up like it did I wish I had some before pictures. It looked really nasty.

I remember when the 029 supposedly took the place of the 028.Whether or not they even compared(they didn't),every truck around here had an 029 in the back.Before that,it was always an 028.I was always partial to my 024 saws.I have had to dig them out from under a foot of snow and they started on 3 pulls.

I have noticed there is a huge following for them. It is a my first one but i would defiantly get another one.( hell who am I kidding I wouldn't pass up any saw lol). The saw was very fun to build and I didn't think it would clean up like it did I wish I had some before pictures. It looked really nasty.

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/tls/d/eureka-chainsaw/7503762534.html

Updated their post from original description. I offered to buy it but couldn't give more than $50 for it.

May be right up your alley.

One thing I noticed about my Stihls, especially my old 028. If the idleing starts acting up, slowing down or rough, DO NOT IMMEDIATELY GRAB YOUR screwdriver and adjust the L jet.
Just clean the air filter when you get back to the shop and 99% of time mine is back to normal.

Also you need to keep a heads up and make sure you do not lean out the H carb jet on those 028's. They will usually tune into lean really easy and sound good and strong in the cut, BUT, BUT. (it's running lean)

I've had my 028S since the mid 80s. A bit heavy but reliable as the sun coming up. One of my favorite saws.

It got a new OEM top end ~1990 due to a bad gas episode. Had some moisture in the tank, and somebody dumped a bunch of drygas in it.

If I knew about cleaning up cylinders probably could of just put a piston in it. But besides that , and a carb kit filters and new hoses bar/chain items,is original.

Back