028 won’t start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane98

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding old 028 without a chain brake and has the idle adjusting screw up on top of the tank.. I don’t know where the starting adjustment is on the idle screw. Don’t know if that’s the problem but it has spark and it will pop when I squirt gas in cylinder.. I guess it could be the carb but I put a new kit in it and it is air tight.. any help would be great … thank in advance…

Yeah it fires on gas as well. I’ve checked the choke which is in the filter…(I think a bad design) but who am I? I just don’t know if I’ve got the idle screw on top of the tank set right. I don’t know where to set it too start.

Yeah it fires on gas as well. I’ve checked the choke which is in the filter…(I think a bad design) but who am I? I just don’t know if I’ve got the idle screw on top of the tank set right. I don’t know where to set it too start.
I adjust it till the butterfly just starts to open, then maybe 1 more turn. After it's running, you can fine tune.

I adjust it till the butterfly just starts to open, then maybe 1 more turn. After it's running, you can fine tune.
I just serviced one that had sat on a garage shelf for four years and that's exactly what I did. It also needed a new ignition module to produce a spark. The saw runs great today.

Ok thanks for the info… I also found a pin hole in a new fuel hose right up next to where it goes on the carb… so I’ll have to get a new hose then I’ll try to adjust the idle screw.. it can’t be that hard…thanks again…

trim the fuel hose and refit it to the carb for testing purposes. The choke in the air filter style can require 7-12 pulls to prime the carb if its dry vs 5-7 pulls for a carb with internal choke plate. Oem flocked and nylon air filters can be split and gently hand washed in warm soapy water using a soft tooth brush to gently scrub and de gunk/oil it and the choke plate faces, air dry on a vent or set in the sun. Do not scrub hard or for very long and do not use compressed air or other chemicals.

The air filter I have is new and I check it the first thing. I actually watched that video a few weeks ago so that was the first thing I checked. I also have a couple 038’s that have the choke in the filter. I tried to cut the fuel hose and it’s just a bit too short to work. The hole or crack was about 1” down from the end of the hose. So I have a hose from a 038 that I’ll try tomorrow just to see if I can get it running and while the other hose comes in. Thanks so much for the info guys. I’m glad you guys are here.

Latest posts

Back