034 av question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinphillips3155@gmail.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so my grandpa has this 034 av that I use every year to cut him some firewood and so on well I noticed that the saw wasn't cutting very good even with the chain sharpened almost like one that badly needed the rakers filed so since the chain was pretty worn anyway my grandpa said he would just pick up a new chain well it's just as bad now if not worse but I noticed using the front half of the bar and chain it was alot worse and if using the back half and the dogs were digging in it wasnt nearly as bad but I know it didnt used to be like that so any help would be appreciated what do I need to look for to find out what it causing this? Could the drive sprocket cause this? Thanks in advance

If the saw feels like it’s low on power it needs to be serviced and/or repaired. May need a carb kit, fuel hose, filter, spark plug, etc. what’s the air filter look like? If it’s plugged up that will choke the saw out.

Possibly? Idk exactly what a safety chain is and idk when the last time he bought a bar was it don't look bad really I mean there is a lil paint rubbed off but that's about all I noticed but what do I need to take pics of besides the chain and bar?
Bar- nose sprocket and close up of rails.
Chain- cutters and drive links.
Clutch drive sprocket- a shot of the pockets the drive links sit in to drive the chain.

If the saw feels like it’s low on power it needs to be serviced and/or repaired. May need a carb kit, fuel hose, filter, spark plug, etc. what’s the air filter look like? If it’s plugged up that will choke the saw out.
It seems to have the power just not able to use it if that makes sense and it has a new plug and air filter and if not cutting it sounds great and runs great but I mainly noticed it when cutting up with the top of the bar or just the end of the bar in general like when cutting small limbs and stuff

It seems to have the power just not able to use it if that makes sense and it has a new plug and air filter and if not cutting it sounds great and runs great but I mainly noticed it when cutting up with the top of the bar or just the end of the bar in general like when cutting small limbs and stuff

Sounds like burred over bar rails- or splayed rails to me, hence my first post on your thread.
Good photos will help.
It isnt by chance an old chain on a fairly new bar- might be you have a bar grooved 0.063 and you are running chain with 0.050 drivers.

IMG_20221027_044758718.jpgIMG_20221027_044729332.jpgIMG_20221027_044445493.jpgIMG_20221027_035200643.jpgIMG_20221027_035130633.jpgIMG_20221027_034112096.jpgIMG_20221027_044503631.jpg
Sorry it took me forever to figure out how to get these pics on here and sorry my phone doesn't take the best of pictures but hopefully this helps and the bar was in a little rougher shape than I remembered but still didn't look horrible to me at least but I'm no expert for sure

View attachment 1027701View attachment 1027702View attachment 1027703View attachment 1027704View attachment 1027705View attachment 1027706View attachment 1027707
Sorry it took me forever to figure out how to get these pics on here and sorry my phone doesn't take the best of pictures but hopefully this helps and the bar was in a little rougher shape than I remembered but still didn't look horrible to me at least but I'm no expert for sure
The saw needs a new drive sprocket and the chain rakers don't look like they have ever been filed/set. The later may be your main problem. I'd get the rim kit from Stihl with the bearing upgrade.

clutchg upgrade sm.jpg

Hard to tell from pictures condition of bar rails on my computer screen? You can draw file them or true up with a vertical belt sander perpendicular/90 degrees to the bar flat. Touch up/chamfer the rail edges and groove after that

View attachment 1027701View attachment 1027702View attachment 1027703View attachment 1027704View attachment 1027705View attachment 1027706View attachment 1027707
What are the specs on the bar? Should be etched on one side of the bar near the tail. Please post a photo or write it down.

The saw needs a new drive sprocket and the chain rakers don't look like they have ever been filed/set. The later may be your main problem. I'd get the rim kit from Stihl with the bearing upgrade.

View attachment 1027710

Hard to tell from pictures condition of bar rails on my computer screen? You can draw file them or true up with a vertical belt sander perpendicular/90 degrees to the bar flat. Touch up/chamfer the rail edges and groove after that
The rakers haven't ever been filed the chain was only used once the day he bought it and do u know what the part # is for the rim kit you was talking about?

The rakers haven't ever been filed the chain was only used once the day he bought it and do u know what the part # is for the rim kit you was talking about?
See picture in my post. I upgraded all my 036 saws, same kit.

The rakers, did you check them? New don't always mean right. Want at least 0.025"

.050/1.3 3/8 60
This matches the "72" on the Oregon drive link so they are both .050" gauge.

The cutter doesn't look overly sharp. If you haven't yet got the tools and learned to sharpen, now would be a good time to start.

That is a full-chisel chain which gets dull fast in dirty wood or when an inexperienced user can't keep the chain out of the dirt. The full chisel also requires much more material removal for sharpening. Once that little teeny-tiny point is dull so is the chain.

I would highly recommend semi-chisel for the next chain. Doesn't cut quite as fast but will usually outlast full-chisel... unless you hit a rock.

BTW, how long is that bar" 60 drive links seems like a pretty short bar for that saw. Mine balances well with a 20" on it.

Latest posts

Back