034 hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdon19

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I bought my neighbour an 034, came up for $80 so I grabbed it. PO said it’s a pain in the but to start
Gave it new plug and filter, checked the choke and fast idle and found these to be stuffed.
Fixed up the choke so it fully engages the filter. Played with the linkages and retainer clip and got full choke, fast idle, idle and stop.
Neighbour dropped it up for a sharpen today, how’s it run?
“Can be hard to start but other than that it’s great”
Just fueled it abs gave it 10-12 pulls before it popped then started, too many to me.
Am thinking that the fast idle needs bumping up?
Compression is ok to the feel, not awesome but not bad.
Jets are 1 1/4, 1 turn out
Pics are fast idle position

Attachments

• 097ADB70-C311-4737-8086-913620FF5913.jpeg
    097ADB70-C311-4737-8086-913620FF5913.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 21323E2B-C2FB-49AD-AFB9-E36DF3E9D3A6.jpeg
    21323E2B-C2FB-49AD-AFB9-E36DF3E9D3A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Neighbour said he has suspected he's flooded it and walked away, then bam it starts later

I have not rebuilt the carby.
Normal operating procedure? Not sure what you mean here mate?

Rodger, would it be better to pressure/vac test first?
Possibly, but most old saws need the recommended pm that is ignored by the previous owner, if you throw 30 bucks into some parts you know with confidence that there good.
Is the impulse line good? Well by the time your able to pry it free from its 20yr home to pressure test it ,it more than likely will not be. Has the plug ever been changed? You know stuff like that. Seals can be verified with some brake cleaner spraying, if you get past the elementary stuff.

Is the plug wet or dry when it wont start? Wet and it's flooding, so check needle and seat in carb.

Dry, will it start with thimble of mix? If so fuel delivery problem, could be many things. Check under cover on pump side of carb. Sawdust can get in the vent hole and prevent the diaphragm from working. If you do carb get OEM full kit.

Pres/vac test will saw, will save you chasing your tail, and buying/replacing parts that are still good. Pressure testing can check carb needle, fuel line and tank vent besides engine leaks. As mentioned old lines may be brittle.

Hi guys
Can you give me pres vac tests plsn
Is it 10psi into the saw, ahould hold 45 seconds?
Is vac the same?
How do I pressure test carb, thanks

Started 3rd pull this morning, neighbour said it is often a bugger. Give it 9ish pulls then walks away, it then starts fine later on.

Carb won’t pressure test
Small plastic bit is either cracked or leaking

Attachments

• 2A1C0C7B-B061-4646-9B65-892B30B7E93C.jpeg
    2A1C0C7B-B061-4646-9B65-892B30B7E93C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Carb won’t pressure test
Small plastic bit is either cracked or leaking
Fuel elbow is trashed. Find a replacement or get a new carb. These are press fit. Old one comes out with with vice-grips on the brass stud. There are plenty of threads on here about replacing these.

Fuel elbow is trashed. Find a replacement or get a new carb. These are press fit. Old one comes out with with vice-grips on the brass stud. There are plenty of threads on here about replacing these.
There is a place that sells steel replacements for those, I need to get some will try to find a link.

Quick temporary fix is superglue. But if saw still runs squirrely don't run it.

I have a mate sending an elbow, saw is currently awaiting rings and head gasket.
Holds 10 psi but tiny leaks around head.

Latest posts

Back