Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannabeSawyer

Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time lurker and first post, very exciting. :D
I have an 034 Super, all original looking and very clean, that I got off a guy selling out a rather large collection. Upon detailed inspection when I got it home, I noticed a slight score starting on clutch side of exhaust port (totally invisible with my muffler port inspection) so I'm taking on a piston rebuild to try and keep this awesome saw going healthily as a firewood harvester. It runs exceptional in my opinion, but I want to do my best here. I opted for a Meteor piston; model "PC1458B". Listed as 034Super/036/MS360 compatible. My OCD mind has this one question: are these slightly different-shaped pistons going to make a difference? Optimization of transfer ports comes to mind. This Super cylinder seems to have impressive transfer ports compared to the 036s I recently tore down and kit-bashed into a working saw. Google shows me a Meteor piston identical to my original Super piston here (more contoured near transfers), yet I received one looking a little different. Any input to put my mind at ease would be very appreciated! I plan to scour the forum for tips on muriatic acid cylinder restoration, but I'd love any links to good posts!

Thanks; glad to be a member of this community!

Attachments

• 963C4063-58F4-4A6D-BC93-FB107F239F3F.jpeg
    963C4063-58F4-4A6D-BC93-FB107F239F3F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A32367A8-C868-409D-A11E-49835ED7035F.jpeg
    A32367A8-C868-409D-A11E-49835ED7035F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7F1883F3-0977-4D64-AF52-DD32E88A5BD7.jpeg
    7F1883F3-0977-4D64-AF52-DD32E88A5BD7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello all!

I have an 034 Super, all original looking and very clean, that I got off a guy selling out a rather large collection. Upon detailed inspection when I got it home, I noticed a slight score starting on clutch side of exhaust port (totally invisible with my muffler port inspection) so I'm taking on a piston rebuild to try and keep this awesome saw going healthily as a firewood harvester. It runs exceptional in my opinion, but I want to do my best here. I opted for a Meteor piston; model "PC1458B". Listed as 034Super/036/MS360 compatible. My OCD mind has this one question: are these slightly different-shaped pistons going to make a difference? Optimization of transfer ports comes to mind. This Super cylinder seems to have impressive transfer ports compared to the 036s I recently tore down and kit-bashed into a working saw. Google shows me a Meteor piston identical to my original Super piston here (more contoured near transfers), yet I received one looking a little different. Any input to put my mind at ease would be very appreciated! I plan to scour the forum for tips on muriatic acid cylinder restoration, but I'd love any links to good posts!

If you can pony $$$ I'd go OEM Stihl. You can open up windows on either one.

No clue on the piston stuff, but good luck to you.

An 034S was my "one saw plan" for well over a decade. Supplied wood for three households, and only needed a carb rebuild in that time. Still have it, still runs great, and I'd put it to work this minute if needed.

Great saws. Looking forward to hearing how you get along with yours.

No clue on the piston stuff, but good luck to you.

An 034S was my "one saw plan" for well over a decade. Supplied wood for three households, and only needed a carb rebuild in that time. Still have it, still runs great, and I'd put it to work this minute if needed.

Great saws. Looking forward to hearing how you get along with yours.

I heard those 034S run better, but I've 2 036 that are my go to firewwood saws unless rounds get big. Great saws that just feel good in the cut.

I heard those 034S run better, but I've 2 036 that are my go to firewwood saws unless rounds get big. Great saws that just feel good in the cut.
I'd say they're equally as powerful, though the Super seems to have more low-end torque, like how 038s feel when you release the trigger. They keep cutting! It's also loud, the baffle is unlike any I've seen. Just fully open on left and right side. And it's factory looking with rolled edges and all.

Hello all!

Did that piston come in a Meteor piston kit box? ,and bought from a reputable source?
The only reason I as is most meteor pistons I've seen or used have the same support webbing as the factory ones and why I used one in my 044 rebuild.
Their castings are usually very smooth as far as the "as cast" surfaces which that one doesn't look to be as refined.

Did that piston come in a Meteor piston kit box? ,and bought from a reputable source?
The only reason I as is most meteor pistons I've seen or used have the same support webbing as the factory ones and why I used one in my 044 rebuild.
Their castings are usually very smooth as far as the "as cast" surfaces which that one doesn't look to be as refined.
Good point here. It was purchased via eBay from Wolf Creek Saw Shop, seemingly a very reputable reseller. I have messaged them regarding this particular concern as well. The packaging looks as legit as another Meteor kit I purchased a while back. I suspect the fitment range to not be as refined as we'd all like. I believe this to be a copy of an 036/MS360 piston versus an 034 Super, which I now believe to be truly different despite the same bore size used.

Attachments

• 67EFCA6F-73F8-4E9A-8061-6F830A19022B.jpeg
    67EFCA6F-73F8-4E9A-8061-6F830A19022B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Good point here. It was purchased via eBay from Wolf Creek Saw Shop, seemingly a very reputable reseller. I have messaged them regarding this particular concern as well. The packaging looks as legit as another Meteor kit I purchased a while back. I suspect the fitment range to not be as refined as we'd all like. I believe this to be a copy of an 036/MS360 piston versus an 034 Super, which I now believe to be truly different despite the same bore size used.

Yeah, they are legit. Maybe it is speced out for the 036.

I received a reply from Ryan at Wolf Creek regarding this and got some pretty interesting info:

"Good morning, Meteor currently only makes the one casting style with the straight skirt, but it does work fine with port transfer on the 034 super. The letters after the part number indicate the size of the piston. We normally sell size AB and B pistons if the piston is going into a used cylinder, and size A if its going into a brand new cylinder. I have attached a photo showing the 3 sizes of pistons that Meteor makes for the 034 super/036, they are all the same casting but .01mm difference in diameter (size A is 47.95mm, size AB is 47.96mm and size B is 47.97mm). Installing the size B in a used cylinder will help eliminate piston skirt slap from excessive play between the worn cylinder and new piston."

Good to know they actually make "oversized" pistons for old cylinders and if the 036 style skirt will work I'll just use the "B" style I received and see how it goes. I'd go OEM Stihl if I could find a NOS matching the casting but so far no luck with that.

Back