036 choke and carb questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you be a little more specific? The last set of pics are about the best that I can get of the red master switch. Not sure what else to try to capture in the picture.

I don't see a spring of any kind attached to the master switch on any of my saws, but it does feel like it just wants to flop around. Can you point me to where I should be looking to check on this spring?

Totally agree. I've been doing troubleshooting and diagnostics on automated assembly equipment for over 2 decades, and that's how I normally approach something to begin with. On this one, I'm just not seeing what is supposed to keep the switch all the way down. I could bend the linkage, but I don't think that's going to help because the switch feels kind of "floppy". On my other saws, teh switch feels like it falls into specific locations where it wants to stay. Off, On, half throttle trigger lock, and choked. With this one, Off is floppy, On is kinda solid, Trigger lock/half throttle is barely detectable, and Choked is super floppy. If I bend the linkage, it's just going to cause the switch to rebound farther (move up). Seems like something is missing, or damaged on the switch itself, but nothing that's exposed tells me how it's SUPPOSED to work (ie, latch into position).

I'm going to take one of the other saws apart this evening and see if I can see something on one of them that can clue me in a little better. I have both ends of the spectrum covered (024/26 and 064), so if one of them provides a little clearer view of the workings of the switch, that may provide some answers.
Looks like the switch spring has moved sideways and is not in detent on switch shaft

If the master switch was staying down, I would totally agree. Since the master switch just wants to float around, if I bend it then the choke spring on the carb is just going to push the master switch farther up and the butter fly is going to end up in the same position that it does now.

My air filter doesn't interact with anything on the carb, trigger, or master switch on any of my saws. Its just in the way to see what's going on :)
On the 036 when you tighten filter to carb it pushes in on master switch spring steel and loads it against the shaft harder

Looks like the switch spring has moved sideways and is not in detent on switch shaft
If the switch spring moves in toward carb it rides up on a different part of shaft and can’t fall in detent to hold shaft in place to hold choke shut, looks like it needs twisted away from carb to align

Latest posts

Back