036 piston in a Jred 630?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? They’re both same bore and stroke. Only question is do they both have the same size wrist pin. Having a hard time finding a satisfactory used 630 piston. I can get a new OEM 036 piston in a matter of days.

Funny you mention that. I got a meteor piston, it was so sloppy in the bore you could have probably heard the piston slap a bock away. No way I was gonna run that piston.

If you look in the Meteor application list, they have more then one size listed. Kinda like that A B C thing. Which part number did you get?
This is from the Meteor listings for the 630. Part number followed by piston size.
PC1606A 47,93
PC1606B 47,94
PC1606C 47,95
PC1606D 47,96

I know I got a Meteor in my 630 Super.

I see. I have part number PC1606B my 630 cylinder is a B grade, and in very good condition. From what I can tell I’d most likely need the PC1606D piston in order to achieve anything close to factory tolerance. I’ll Look around, see if I can source one. Thanks for the info.

I see. I have part number PC1606B my 630 cylinder is a B grade, and in very good condition. From what I can tell I’d most likely need the PC1606D piston in order to achieve anything close to factory tolerance. I’ll Look around, see if I can source one. Thanks for the info.
What is P/C clearance at the skirt? You want 0.002-0.0025", measured with machinist tools, not chi-com calipers.

What is P/C clearance at the skirt? You want 0.002-0.0025", measured with machinist tools, not chi-com calipers.
I didn’t even bother measuring, it was that bad. If I had to guess I’d say at least .006 of an inch. Next time I’m in the shop I’ll take some measurements and get an actual number.

If you would have looked at the Meteor applications, they list the pin sizes used on each model.

I just installed the new Meteor piston in my 266 the other day, it specked out perfect. Same as it did my Jred 630.

Turns out a 036 piston won’t work in a jred 630, or any husky 48mm bore saw of that era. Piston fit great in the cylinder but 036 uses a 10mm wrist pin. On the bright side, I now have a spare OEM piston for my 036 Pro.
How was the fit otherwise? I have a 630 with a 10mm wrist pin which could use a new piston. And I can't even find a parts number for it.

5035174-01 is the oem part number for the 630 piston. They are a 12mm pin. Not sure how you came up with a 10mm pin.

I posted Meteor part numbers earlier
I think I have a 630 with a 10mm pin. Well, not sure if it's 10mm, it was smaller than the 12mm in the Meteor kit that I tried. I read somewhere early Husqvarna 61 with 10mm pin existed, so I just assumed Jonsered did the same. The original piston was still in decent shape, so I just changed the rings and the saw runs fine. Maybe I open it up next week and measure the pin to be sure what I got.
Edit: That's why I was asking if the 036 piston would be a fit if it had the correct pin size.

If you want to do any mods to a J’Red 600 series, do yourself the insane pleasure of dropping a Husky 271 jug, piston, carb, everything on top. I did with a 630, and every guy around asked what the hell i did, because even the plastic jug cover went right back on, …maybe a little less clearance? Okay, started melting part of cover. But still looked stocking. Pull and go. What a raped ape! Reminded me of a modded Yamaha dirt bike saw a friend had.

Anyone ever done it? They’re both same bore and stroke. Only question is do they both have the same size wrist pin. Having a hard time finding a satisfactory used 630 piston. I can get a new OEM 036 piston in a matter of days.
I searched for a windowed piston for my husky 162 aka 630 piston
and bought a golf ,dual ring windowed piston and its stronger than the
original dual thin ring of the 162. I know golf is;nt considered the best
quality , but they have really improved ,and it would be a good option
for your

I searched for a windowed piston for my husky 162 aka 630 piston
and bought a golf ,dual ring windowed piston and its stronger than the
original dual thin ring of the 162. I know golf is;nt considered the best
quality , but they have really improved ,and it would be a good option
for your
I ended up finding a OEM single ring 630 piston. Pistons and cylinders for the 162/630 saws are quite hard to come by it seems. Last OEM piston I got came out of France.

Latest posts

Back