036 Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWoodDr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've got an 036 Pro that I've been using a lot lately. Its been running great, until recently when all of a sudden it stalled and wouldn't start. I changed the plug, it has good spark, cleaned the flywheel and coil and it started up just fine. It ran great for a while too (even at idle). Then sometimes while running, it would stall if I didn't keep giving it a bit of throttle, and would only start if I had my hand on the throttle while pulling it. Sometimes it runs great, and idles just fine. And other times, it does this. Is this a fuel issue or a coil issue, or something I'm missing?

Problem solved! Checked fuel filter, and vac/pressure tested the line, it was all good. Pulled the carb, checked the screen, it was more or less clean. Diaphragm a little stiff but no cracks or anything. Vac and pressure tested the carb and found some bubbles on the intake side gasket. Not losing much pressure, ~1psi/minute or so but I guess that's enough to cause issues. When I put the carb back together I tightened the screw a little tighter than normal just to see if it made a difference and it did. I'll order a carb kit and replace everything but nice to know it was nothing too serious. Thanks again everyone!

Then, when you have tidied all that up- whip the muffler off, clean carbon deposits from the exhaust port of the cylinder and remove/clean/burn off the spark arrestor screen.
Once you get a good flow of fuel and air going in- you might as well treat the saw so the burnt mix can get out freely. :)

If you use the ethanol laced gasoline its best to use the tan colored pump side diaphragm these days. The rubber like black one will not last long with ethanol, the blue ones that come in some kits are too stiff from the outset, they don`t work well in any carbs I have used them on.

Then, when you have tidied all that up- whip the muffler off, clean carbon deposits from the exhaust port of the cylinder and remove/clean/burn off the spark arrestor screen.
Once you get a good flow of fuel and air going in- you might as well treat the saw so the burnt mix can get out freely. :)
No spark arrestor (shh don't tell anyone) and its got a dual port muffler on it. Great little saw, other than the vibes.

If you use the ethanol laced gasoline its best to use the tan colored pump side diaphragm these days. The rubber like black one will not last long with ethanol, the blue ones that come in some kits are too stiff from the outset, they don`t work well in any carbs I have used them on.
That's a great tip, I'll do that!

So I've got an 036 Pro that I've been using a lot lately. Its been running great, until recently when all of a sudden it stalled and wouldn't start. I changed the plug, it has good spark, cleaned the flywheel and coil and it started up just fine. It ran great for a while too (even at idle). Then sometimes while running, it would stall if I didn't keep giving it a bit of throttle, and would only start if I had my hand on the throttle while pulling it. Sometimes it runs great, and idles just fine. And other times, it does this. Is this a fuel issue or a coil issue, or something I'm missing?
Classic runs right one minute and not the next is a sticking main nozzle check valve in the carb. If it doesn't close all the way it creates an air leak in the "L" circuit and the saw won't idle. You either have to change the main nozzle or replace the carb. What carb model is it?

That is where we differ, I find for it's size and CC rating- the 036 is nothing to rave about- I am about to sell my own one, better saws out there in that range I feel.
There probably are, I am partial to the 0 series stihls. I have an 026, 036, and 044 - and love them all. They sure are tough little buggers. I have a couple of huskys, a 288 and a 3120. The 288 admittedly has had a hard life but it's been nothing but trouble for me. Never seems to run right, the 3120 is nice tho, hard to start like the 288 and has so far spent 90% of its life on the mill.

Classic runs right one minute and not the next is a sticking main nozzle check valve in the carb. If it doesn't close all the way it creates an air leak in the "L" circuit and the saw won't idle. You either have to change the main nozzle

Ok if I have problems again I will check this out! Thanks

Latest posts

Back