038 &039 carburetor kit question, do they use the same kit ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
I had the local dealer order a carb kit for my 039 (even supplied them the part number) but a kit for the 038 came in so they said they would have to reorder it.
There goes at least an additional two weeks waiting time now.
My question is, do the two saws use the same carb kit or did somebody make an error ?

I had the local dealer order a carb kit for my 039 (even supplied them the part number) but a kit for the 038 came in so they said they would have to reorder it.
My question is, do the two saws use the same carb kit or did somebody make an error ?
Dealer doesn't know?

Thanks for the help and information.
If they weren't able to order the correct kit the first time, I'm not going to trust them to order it a second time, so I'm thinking I shall part with a classic saw that still runs very strong (if the carb was right) and I will clean the saw up nicely and sell it as-is.

Are you unable to look up these carb kits? yourself? How did you get this post up?

Flea Bay has it for sure. I have not been disappointed yet. I have many carb kits with at least three gaskets and diaphragms so with three or more of every thing in a kit it is hard to miss. Out of between twenty or thirty carburetor rebuilds Maybe one damaged gasket or diaphragm. Just blow the gunk out and be careful with the screen. Should be perfect. Thanks

I have a Stihl 039. It was a dear friends that passed away. I have used it multiple times over the years. I loaned it to a cousin who told me it "it just quit working". Now it needs rebuilt. I work part time with a man that rebuilds chainsaws and we are going to restore it. I saw that their are apparently 3 different power ratings for these saws? a 4 hp, a 6hp, and a 7hp version? I tore it down last night, every last screw and clip out for cleaning. The carb is OEM. It says HD5 on it. From what I gather, there are 3 different carbs it could have came with, a HD-5, HD-19, or HD-21. I have searched everywhere for what the differences are. I want to install the best one for performance. The man I work with said we are going to port the saw and mod the muffler. Can anyone tell me the difference of the carbs or have a suggestion?

Usually, the difference is the type of limiters, or if it even has limiters, or whether it has the compensating carb or not. That would be the intake in to the air filter on top of the metering diaphragm.

There should be a print on the side of the carb that you can read. I doubt there is any performance difference.

Pretty wild variations in HP . Sort of doubt all of that. Probably looking at an 029- 039.

Latest posts

Back