038 mag 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafun464

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ended up buying this 038 magnum 2 for cheap. now curious on what everyone opinion on them is? Since im going to lean towards my 046 or 500i. But im giving this saw to a friend so id like to know what bars feel best on the saw.

Attachments

• 20230227_102438.jpg
    20230227_102438.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_102434.jpg
    20230227_102434.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Get a new air filter cover, clean it up replace the fuel filter and give it a run. If everything is OK, Clean it up again then keep it.
If anything is faulty, fix it then clean it up again and keep it.
It's a desirable saw

Get a new air filter cover, clean it up replace the fuel filter and give it a run. If everything is OK, Clean it up again then keep it.
If anything is faulty, fix it then clean it up again and keep it.
It's a desirable saw
Runs and cuts good working on cleaning it up a bit now definitely swaping it back to 3/8 chain

Back to 3/8 chain...from what?

I would ask the future owner what they want for a bar...20 to 26", I think is the sweet spot.

If I was cleaning it, I would probably, as a consequence, have the carb exposed and muffler off...and, at that point, there is zero downside to a pressure/vac test. I'd also compression test it, before passing it on.

Roy

Back to 3/8 chain...from what?

I would ask the future owner what they want for a bar...20 to 26", I think is the sweet spot.

If I was cleaning it, I would probably, as a consequence, have the carb exposed and muffler off...and, at that point, there is zero downside to a pressure/vac test. I'd also compression test it, before passing it on.

Roy
When i got the saw it was setup for 404 with a 32 inch bar. I vacuum tested and inspected cylinder. Need to go buy a good compression tester for 2 strokes.and i think it gonna end up with a sthil 25 inch super light.

When i got the saw it was setup for 404 with a 32 inch bar. I vacuum tested and inspected cylinder. Need to go buy a good compression tester for 2 strokes.and i think it gonna end up with a sthil 25 inch super light.

They balance nice with a 25" ES bar.

While you are playing with the drive sprocket take the cover off the clutch/oil pump for a cleaning and inspect the oil pump drive gears.

Well decide to dye the cover since they were junked actually turned out decently got saw all cleaned and gone thru and ready to go

Attachments

• 20230228_151359.jpg
    20230228_151359.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back