038 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydavid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
working on a 038 Stihl with a tillotson carburetor, ive had carburetor apart and did some cleaning on it and checked the metering needle height.
it still has some issues, it over loads too much fuel in cylinder! it runs the best with the H jet 1/4-1/2 turn out!
if i take air filter off & race the engine there's a heavy mist of fuel spraying out of carburetor! i haven't tried a new carburetor kit yet. theres unspent fuel mix coming out of muffler sometime. running way to rich for some reason.

GET RID OF THAT CARBURETOR!!!! Discontinued many years ago due to the issues you are experiencing. Find a replacement. If ZAMA or Bing are available get one. If you buy Chinese get 2. You might luck out and get a good one.
My preference is a Bing. From experience of working on at least 100 of them.

GET RID OF THAT CARBURETOR!!!! Discontinued many years ago due to the issues you are experiencing. Find a replacement. If ZAMA or Bing are available get one. If you buy Chinese get 2. You might luck out and get a good one.
My preference is a Bing. From experience of working on at least 100 of them.
Thanks for the advice! i ended up buying a rebuild kit for the tillotson! i hasn't arrived yet tho. if that doesn't work, i will try different carb . i put a aftermarket carb on my 036 and i've been happy so far! It was sold by Dukes saw parts.

The needle seat in the plastic plate wears out and no rebuild will fix them, replace is the only option. That Tilly was used on some Sachs Dolmar saws we were running back in the late 80`s, many wore out in just a few years of heavy use.
what replacement carb would you recommend?

Now ,does the 038M that is still running on it's original carb have the tillotson with the plastic plate? That was discontinued half way through production. The BING would still be going.

Now ,does the 038M that is still running on it's original carb have the tillotson with the plastic plate? That was discontinued half way through production. The BING would still be going.
I have never had the carb off or even needed to check it out, Maybe it is time to have a look, it has a Tillotson carb not a Bing.

Latest posts

Back