038 super rebuild with all the high performance parts I could find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihldragon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Total price for parts: $410 and the buyer is paying for the parts in advance. My parts saw has a clutch and oiler failure and burn, but the saw had low hours when it occurred. Very clean around the oil seals. It's seems like a really good crank case. No need to remove the top end. I'm going to be using high performance carburetor. I'm going to mod and polish it up. AM rubber kit. OEM intake boot. OEM oiler and clutch assembly. OEM large side cover with a medium set of felling spikes. OEM intake shroud. Am muffler with racing copper cooling plate. OEM aluminum 038 super ID badge. That's what I got so far. If anyone's got any mod tips for an 038 super rebuild I'd love to hear from you. Can a base gasket delete increase performance? Does this saw gain performance from an ignition timing adjustment?
7521c2d6a6560ed802cf884ecf186d24.jpg
ab936e0a397e258bfc8d479fd75a8c37.jpg

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

New seals, muffler mod, porting will gain you the most. Better air filter (more flow) will add to that. Ignition timing will be dependent on your porting. Base gasket delete will depend on what your squish is currently at along with the compression it currently has, not a huge gain but it can be noticeable.

I have some experience with these saws, I have two 038 mags myself. If I were in your shoes this is what I would do. New rings, dual port muffler, and throw on a old screen type air filter. Set her to 13k on the top end (after broken in) and call it good. Porting will obviously give more power if you wanna go that far with it. I’d definitely replace the clutch side seal for good measure due to the meltdown. Those seals don’t like excessive heat. There’s more you can do but if your building someone a work saw I think it’s best to keep it as reliable as possible. It’s a balancing act.

I think you are exactly right bd.
But don't try to put a different carb on it,unless you use the 038 Magnum carb which was a Bing model,it will bolt right in,no other carb will,and not worth the effort in getting a stranger to fit.(The linkage won't fit,choke won't work etc.)
The 038 is still one of the best saws I've ever seen made,almost 40 years later they still run great without problems,good score.
The 038 Magnum had the widest factory ex. port I've ever seen in a saw,but I wouldn't go wider than that.

038super converted to the mag top end, intake opened up and port matched, muffler modded and port matched, lower transfer work, some piston window work, stock carb, pulling 32 inch full comp through free bass wood about 27 inch. Follow day burried the bar in some elm and never skipped a beat. I would be confident enough to run a 35 but I have no use even for a 32

Can't remember the species about 28 at the stump and frozen was running skip tooth through this with same 32 inch bar

Latest posts

Back