041 Super Flywheel Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 041 that I picked up years ago. It was completely torn apart in a box. I think there was a 041 in there too but I don't remember. I tried to give it away on the Christmas thread unsuccessfuly for years so now I'm putting it together. I think I may have given some stuff away because I still have a 041 cylinder but I don't remember.

I was able to clean up the cylinder and got a new Cross piston on eBay. The Cross piston was NOS and appears to be of good quality.

I set the points and put the flywheel on it and set the timing using the mark. I torqued the flywheel and the crankshaft was very difficult to impossible to turn. I removed the flywheel and saw that it was interfering with a raised ridge on the case half. Pictures below:

Ridge interference is at shiny ring:

20221218_055057.jpg

Different view of ridge:

20221218_055101.jpg

Close up of flywheel. Bosch part number 0204003033

20221218_055123.jpg

So does anyone know if the flywheels were different between the points 041 and Super? Am I doing something wrong? Why is there contact between the flywheel and case? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bent crankshaft, Bad bearing, washer missing, key not seated, excessive play in bearing? Cracked off piece of metal in the gap? The casting looks shaved, chipped in the second picture.

I believe the flywheel sits to the inside of the ring. Is it hitting on the inside or top? I have also had to hold the coil inward when tightening. Are the magnets all tight inside the flywheel? I take it this happens before the fanwheel is installed.

You don't need to hold the coil. space it out.

Usually the coil is spaced out the magnet .012 or so by a spacer and then tightened. I used a .013 business card on the MS391, worked fine. Watch out that the magnet does not pick up a washer! The 391 used 2 washers for the ground screw...at first, I had one stuck to the magnet, then I saw it as I spun it by hand.

Back