045 super to ms460

OGJohnboy

OGJohnboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Question for the saw gods here. I'm wondering if it's worth getting rid of my 045 super (solid running, reliable) and replacing it with a ms460 (lighter but smaller cc)

I primarily do firewood for my self, not a professional logger/timber worker. But from time to time do cut 30"+ logs.

I have a modded ms360 with a 20" bar and rsc chain for my go to and when needed a 25" bar and rs chain as well as a 362cR and 028wb.

So not in need of a saw persay, but always wanted a 460 with. I know I could put a 36" on the 045 (has 25" now) and probably be content but I've always wanted a 460 with a 32"and there's and opportunity for a great runner for about $750.

Is it worth spending the money? Or should I stick it out with the ol' faithful.

sawfun

sawfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've got an 045 (81cc version) and an early 046. I'd take the 046 all day over the 045. Maybe a bit less torque, however not that much less, and my back is much happier. Both can run a 36" bar, the 045 may oil it better though. If most of the wood is 30"or less, the 046 will be a much, much more productive saw with its higher speed.

OGJohnboy

OGJohnboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Haha yeah my brother in law told me pretty.much the same thing, get an ms660! Must be good since he's a Husqvarna guy.
I would really like an 066. Thninking of selling the 362cR and the other 362c to offset the cost. Found one for a decent price.

Cut down an alder today that was about 24" and the 360 wasn't liking it. Broke out the 045 to flattop the stump and it reminded me why I still have it. Full throttle and let it eat!

Cedarkerf

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
Haha yeah my brother in law told me pretty.much the same thing, get an ms660! Must be good since he's a Husqvarna guy.
I would really like an 066. Thninking of selling the 362cR and the other 362c to offset the cost. Found one for a decent price.

Cut down an alder today that was about 24" and the 360 wasn't liking it. Broke out the 045 to flattop the stump and it reminded me why I still have it. Full throttle and let it eat!
If your cutting Alder the 460 will have no problem with 30 plus inches . I live in the alder/ fir world and 70+ cc rock. I've ran everything from 032 to 661s in that size fir cedar and alder you'll be happy with the much improved chain speed lighter weight and much lower vibration. I used to run 045s back in early 80s. Not even interested in running those saws for sentimental reasons.