046 clutch issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemn260

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting my 046 back together after new bearings, seals , piston and some mild port work( my first time doing it). I’m proud to say it fired up and sounds pretty strong.

Anyway, while trying to get it broke in and tuned I couldn’t get my settings dialed in without the chain spinning. It’s sitting at a good idle around 2100 with great throttle response. I had that sinking feeling at first that I may have an air leak or something but then it occurred to me that maybe the clutch is engaging when it shouldn’t be. I replaced the clutch drum but not the clutch pads or springs.
I’m guessing the springs could be worn out? The drum that came off it was grooved pretty good and discolored. I’ve had a lot of saws but I’ve never managed to wear out the springs. Mind you this saw was in bad shape when I got it.

I guess my question is should I replace the clutch pads also along with the springs. They didn’t seem to be slipping much. I’m guessing these are parts that I should stick to OEM stihl stuff?

Clutch springs are cheap and easy ish to replace. I’ve had to replace springs on a few 044 / 046 for the same reason. The clutch shoes don’t usually wear out but inspect them while you have it apart. Make sure the clutch drum bearing is in good shape and lubed up with light oil.

I finally got around to putting my 046 back together after new bearings, seals , piston and some mild port work( my first time doing it). I’m proud to say it fired up and sounds pretty strong.

Anyway, while trying to get it broke in and tuned I couldn’t get my settings dialed in without the chain spinning. It’s sitting at a good idle around 2100 with great throttle response. I had that sinking feeling at first that I may have an air leak or something but then it occurred to me that maybe the clutch is engaging when it shouldn’t be. I replaced the clutch drum but not the clutch pads or springs.
I’m guessing the springs could be worn out? The drum that came off it was grooved pretty good and discolored. I’ve had a lot of saws but I’ve never managed to wear out the springs. Mind you this saw was in bad shape when I got it.

I guess my question is should I replace the clutch pads also along with the springs. They didn’t seem to be slipping much. I’m guessing these are parts that I should stick to OEM stihl stuff?
Clutch drum should not show any signs of wear or discoloration unless it's been subjected to slipping under power. Discoloration means overheating and that can weaken the springs, causing the clutch to engage at lower RPM. Be sure the clutch bearing is good.

Clutch springs are cheap and easy ish to replace. I’ve had to replace springs on a few 044 / 046 for the same reason. The clutch shoes don’t usually wear out but inspect them while you have it apart. Make sure the clutch drum bearing is in good shape and lubed up with light oil.
I replaced the drum and bearing but I have no idea why I didn’t think about the springs too. Even after seeing how discolored the drum was from heat build up. I’ve been making knives for a long time so you would think it would have occurred to me that the heat build up would have effected the heat treat and temper of the springs.
Thank you.

Check for elongated mounting holes in the shoes where the springs hook. Also a lot of play where the shoe fits on the carrier. If either is evident replace the clutch. This will also give you a much better idle and acceleration without the premature engagement.

Check for elongated mounting holes in the shoes where the springs hook. Also a lot of play where the shoe fits on the carrier. If either is evident replace the clutch. This will also give you a much better idle and acceleration without the premature engagement.
That’s exactly what they are. What we would call egged out in the heavy equipment world.

A new clutch it is.
Thanks

Sure enough that’s exactly what I got. As much as I have been going through this thing, it is one thing I overlooked.

Attachments

• 7FEC4753-BBA4-42E7-830F-1D8500A5BD13.jpeg
    7FEC4753-BBA4-42E7-830F-1D8500A5BD13.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back