046 Spun Bearing on Crank (clutch side)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deereguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm replacing the case bearings on an 046. The old bearing spun on the crank (clutch side). I can fit the new bearing on the crank by hand but it is snug. I plan is to use this saw as a firewood not professional use.

Question: What would you do? Refit a new bearing using a locking fluid or find another crank or other method? rick

Rick-

I've seen that myself where the shoulders on an 046 crank get worn down and are no longer tight in a new bearing. If this is your personal saw then it's quite likely you can fix it using Loctite 660 which is a holding agent meant for metal on metal parts which are an interference fit that has worn down.

I've used the Locktite 660, but also have used a sharp pointed punch on GM differentials that have spun the bearings and put a few dimples in the mounting surface to retain the bearing.

Spun bearing on crank

Thanks guys,

I'll find some Locktite 660 and use that method. The crank steel is so hard I can't imagine that you could dimple it but will give it a try. rick

My old crappy MS 390 spun the bearing on the crank. I used Caterpillar retaining compound to adhere the bearing to the crank. Worked real well. That retaining compound is brutaly strong. I used to use it to install bearings in loose bores on loader frames. I used the high strength version an quick cure primer.

Back