050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to high jack your thread but I'm in need of some help with an 050 I'm working on. Long story short. The saw has 165psi. I used a coil from a TS760 cut off saw. I install the trigger unit from the TS760. My carb is a Tilly HS60B. It does have a brass fitting on the side. Here's the issue. It will run and idle nicely. At wide open throttle and 3/4 choke it will run good but at WOT and no choke I get some flames out the carb and muffler. I switched the trigger unit out to a 1118 400 1001 because I thought the other might be rev limited and the carb limited and would cause these flames. No suck luck. It did it with both trigger units. BTW my flywheel is off the points unit. What would cause this unit to misfire and backfire out the carb and muffler?

Sorry to also be a hi-jacker, but I figured you guys would be the ones to start with-

I just picked up a ts510av yesterday and after pulling the cover and flywheel I found that the coil and trigger module had been removed, so I am in need of both and don't have anything to use as reference. The cover says it is electronic. Any leads would be greatly appreciated- just starting to get educated on this new toy.

And yes I have searched all over the web and called all the dealers around me and called bailey's and some other web dealers, so here I am asking those in the know.

Thanks
Andy

Sorry to also be a hi-jacker, but I figured you guys would be the ones to start with-

I just picked up a ts510av yesterday and after pulling the cover and flywheel I found that the coil and trigger module had been removed, so I am in need of both and don't have anything to use as reference. The cover says it is electronic. Any leads would be greatly appreciated- just starting to get educated on this new toy.

And yes I have searched all over the web and called all the dealers around me and called bailey's and some other web dealers, so here I am asking those in the know.

Thanks
Andy

I'm not much help, but I could probably e-mail you a shop manual & IPL. Let me know if you want it.

Thanks
Andy

You can (should be able to) still buy brand new ignitions for the TS510. Either the 1111 400 1303 ignition module (no aditional trigger required) or the 1111 400 1301 coil (which would require you to also purchase a trigger unit). The 4205 400 1002 trigger is the current recomendation from Stihl for that model. I believe the module is unlimited (thus revs limited by the carb), however, the 4205 400 1002 trigger will limit the revs electronically (the rev limit is lower).
If you aren't looking to spend a lot. Your best bet would be to look for either a used 1111 400 1305 or 1111 400 1301 coil (there should be pictures of both in this thread) and buy an aftermarket universal trigger like the nova II etc

I don't mean to high jack your thread but I'm in need of some help with an 050 I'm working on. Long story short. The saw has 165psi. I used a coil from a TS760 cut off saw. I install the trigger unit from the TS760. My carb is a Tilly HS60B. It does have a brass fitting on the side. Here's the issue. It will run and idle nicely. At wide open throttle and 3/4 choke it will run good but at WOT and no choke I get some flames out the carb and muffler. I switched the trigger unit out to a 1118 400 1001 because I thought the other might be rev limited and the carb limited and would cause these flames. No suck luck. It did it with both trigger units. BTW my flywheel is off the points unit. What would cause this unit to misfire and backfire out the carb and muffler?

Jonathon,
Any ideas on this one?

There are several places you should start with to narrow down your problem.

Tach it up and see how far it will rev before it starts to cut out. that should let you know if it is even reving high enough for the rev limiter to be kicking in.

How does it run under load? If it is weak under load you prob have a lean running carb. What appears to be an electrical prob could be a carb problem and you may be experiencing a lean issue. The fact that the carb has something to do with the saw being able to rev sounds like your are richening it up manually with the choke but might only be a way to rev but now changing the fact that there might be a plugged jet, vacuum leak in the intake or somewhere in the carb.

Try those things and try to narrow it down-

Sorry, I don't know how I missed this.
Never heard of anything like that before! The fact that choking it helps sounds like a fuel problem. What is your carb set at? I believe it is 1 1/8 on the H and 1 on the L for the HS60B. Did you rebuild it? Have you tried the saw in wood under load?
If it idles good (smooth) it doesn't sound like a timing issue from my experience but I may be wrong. (Am I dreaming or don't you also have a 051? Might be worth checking to see if the crank and flywheel are keyed the same for peace of mind)

I have an 050 and a 051. The 051 is still sitting. I grabbed the 050 first and started with it. I have not been able to put it under a load yet to see how it acts. I'll fatten the H up a bit and see if it helps. I do have a tach so I'll see what rpm's it hits before it shots flames.

Just wondering if anyone here has converted a TS760 into an 076 chainsaw. It looks like it could be done rather easy. The cases I think are the same so I know I will need to install the oiler but is there any other things that would need to be address. WOW I have too many irons in the fire right now with these old mag saws.

Just wondering if anyone here has converted a TS760 into an 076 chainsaw. It looks like it could be done rather easy. The cases I think are the same so I know I will need to install the oiler but is there any other things that would need to be address. WOW I have too many irons in the fire right now with these old mag saws.

It can be done... if you have a TS760 with the right crankcase. Some models of the TS760 use the same crankcase as the 076 but with the unnecessary holes having plugs fitted. Some don't have the chain break ears though.
However, there are lot of TS760 saws that are not compatible in any way. There is no way you could put an automatic oiler in and there is no accomodation for a chain tensioner etc.

Assuming you could find one which was compatible you also have to consider the fact cut-off saws have often ingested a lot of brick dust in their life:dizzy:
You could leave the air filter set up but would need all the oiler parts, sprocket, chain tensioner, clutch cover, trigger unit depending what it has, etc
Best bet IMO would be if you could find a compatible TS760 is make it exclusively for milling. Thus not needing the oiler parts if you have an aux oiler.

Someone who found a compatible crankcase;

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/102938-2.htm#post2591723

Update to my situation. I found a TS760 cutoff saw and I switched the flywheel and starter housing over from this unit. WOW what a difference. Starts on 2 pulls cold and no more backfire. So, i found you can't use an 076 coil with an 050 flywheel. It's a bit bigger but runs great. The 051 is the other one I was working on. This saw has an 051 electric coil and runs great too. You can see in the picture the difference between the cases.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks so very much for providing this informative thread. I recently purchased an 076 AV Super for $10.00 at a garage sale. It had sat for 10 years and showed a lot of wear and tear. Put a little gas in it and it fired right up. Now my project began. I've had to purchase some parts including a 33" bar and chain. So far I've spent around $400.00 and still going. Must get a brake assembly installed yet. It's been fun searching and learning more about my saw. This website is by far the best I have found for Stihl chainsaws. So, thanks again and keep up the great work to collect and share your knowledge. Love the photos to help me see more of what my saw should look like. Arrow13

Thanks so very much for providing this informative thread. I recently purchased an 076 AV Super for $10.00 at a garage sale. It had sat for 10 years and showed a lot of wear and tear. Put a little gas in it and it fired right up. Now my project began. I've had to purchase some parts including a 33" bar and chain. So far I've spent around $400.00 and still going. Must get a brake assembly installed yet. It's been fun searching and learning more about my saw. This website is by far the best I have found for Stihl chainsaws. So, thanks again and keep up the great work to collect and share your knowledge. Love the photos to help me see more of what my saw should look like. Arrow13

Welcome to AS. Its good to see you found all the help you needed. Now we need pics.:laugh:

Have some welcome aboard rep... :rock:

Thanks Rookie1 and Hedgerow,
Looking forward to more good reading. I'll work on getting some pics posted when I can. Funny thing about my 076, it now won't start. I'll plan to check for air leaks first and will replace the gas line and filter. Add new gas and will see if she'll fire up again. Sitting for 10 years I'm sure to find an issue or two to work on.
Arrow13

Update to my situation. I found a TS760 cutoff saw and I switched the flywheel and starter housing over from this unit. WOW what a difference. Starts on 2 pulls cold and no more backfire. So, i found you can't use an 076 coil with an 050 flywheel. It's a bit bigger but runs great. The 051 is the other one I was working on. This saw has an 051 electric coil and runs great too. You can see in the picture the difference between the cases.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There's a lot of 760 parts on this 075 Raffle saw.

[video=youtube;wilqjW3nhgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilqjW3nhgA&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Back