050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an 075 of my own that I'm currently building. This is my first 075 build, I was going to sell it a few months back due to money being pretty tight but decided to keep it as I need a larger displacement saw. This will be for my own use and I need it to have a chain brake so I will be using a crankcase with the brake ears from a later model 075 carcass I have. Most everything else ill be using is from the earlier 075 shown in the photo. The crank out of it is minty as well as the cylinder. I did order a new fire safe muffler and muffler guard from stihl. Also picked up a new sprocket/clutch cover from Stihl. I already have the crank and case with new old stock bearings and new seals installed. The 1111 set of gaskets is still available from Stihl, I think it ran me around $35 usd. I did find out that a new piston and cylinder set is also still available, I just didn't feel the need to drop $346 usd when I have already have a nos piston and minty cylinder. I do have two HS-60B carbs but I may throw a little money down on a new walbro wj-112.
20220924_133916.jpg20230213_192038.jpg20230122_213201.jpg

I actually can't find any date or copyright info on this manual. I'm going to hop on iCademy and see what is on there. Problem is the other documents I found on there were few a far between regarding the 1111 series machines. Maybe i'll have more luck hopping on eService and seeing what is available there.

Looking for a bit of guidance with my saw. Few ppl have said saw it is an 051. Anyways I'd like to get the proper air filter cover as I think this one is the wrong one. Should have the red one with no tag I believe. Soooo ran the serial number which is 2905807. Comes back as a 1970 +/- 1 year. So now I'm thinking it's an 050? Cause 051 came out in 72 I believe. Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• 20221113_150023.jpg
    20221113_150023.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_150040.jpg
    20221113_150040.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_150136.jpg
    20221113_150136.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_150101.jpg
    20221113_150101.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Lots of changes and intermingled parts over the course of the 1111 series as you're probably already aware.

The air filter cover is incorrect just by the color difference alone. I'll also guess the saw doesn't have electronic ignition -- which is the quickest way to start narrowing things down. Just from the pics I'm going with an 051AV.

Out of curiosity, what source did you use for guesstimating the saw's date by the serial number? Aside from IPL and tech notes references, I'm unaware of any method for doing so as the date has never been part of the Stihl serial number scheme.

That's a damned nice saw, btw.

Lots of changes and intermingled parts over the course of the 1111 series as you're probably already aware.

The air filter cover is incorrect just by the color difference alone. I'll also guess the saw doesn't have electronic ignition -- which is the quickest way to start narrowing things down. Just from the pics I'm going with an 051AV.

Out of curiosity, what source did you use for guesstimating the saw's date by the serial number? Aside from IPL and tech notes references, I'm unaware of any method for doing so as the date has never been part of the Stihl serial number scheme.

That's a damned nice saw, btw.
I used this site i found online not sure how accurate it is https://workshoppist.com/decoding-stihl-chainsaw-serial-and-part-numbers/

A two year fudge factor isn't very accurate. And there are some flawed aspects of how his data was compiled. There is no date info included in a Stihl serial number to be decoded, hence a rather misleading title to the web link in the first place. That said, the work he put into his method of narrowing down a date range is impressive and deserves recognition for that effort alone.

His Husqvarna info is researched a bit better. They did provide various date codes in their serial numbers over the years so his data is more accurate for Huskys.

All that said, there are several areas you can examine to narrow down the identity of your saw. Ignition and starter assembly details would be a good start. Other details can be used to narrow it down even further. It's obviously a pre chain brake model which sets it back a few years from the air filter cover's era.

It's actually even a "pre-handguard" model which could indeed make it an 050. Early muffler and muffler guard as well....
Yeah there's too many unknowns lol. I gotta narrow it down somehow. I have to look into an 050 to see if it's one or not. As of now I don't know what to look for though

Well definitely points ignition. Also got the part number off of the ignition plate 1111 404 0801. Only comes up as 051 on Google. Need to find an 050 only parts manual to confirm.

Attachments

• 20230404_181737.jpg
    20230404_181737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Could you be just a little more vague? LOL

That's like walking up to a NAPA parts counter and asking if they have a gasket for a blue car..., with the typical response being, "Does it have whitewalls?"

Of all people, I figured you'd know what I was referring to...

There are two different types of mufflers on the 1111 series saws, at least on the later ones. The US/Canada version uses 1111 140 0610. The non-US/Canada saws use 1111 140 0614. The US/Canada muffler is wider by maybe 1/2" or so.

However, the heat shield/muffler cover (Stihl calls it a guard), 1111 146 6009, is the same for both saws. In order to fit the same guard over the US/Canada muffler, Stihl used spacers.

The saw that I'm working on now is an 076. The muffler on it was a non-US version and it was junk. I don't have all my 1111 spares with me here in VA, so my only options for a replacement muffler are a nice U.S./Canada muffler or a reproduction. I installed the U.S. muffler, so I need the spacers.

See below pics.

ThanksDSCN4347.jpegDSCN4356.jpegIMG_3731.jpg

Latest posts

Back