• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 056 AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumBurner

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Up for sale is a stihl 056avs. I haven't pulled the muffler to measure the exhaust window to see if it's a Super or Magnum top end. Piston looked decent when I checked after buying. Has strong compression. Oils great.

I bought this as a non-running saw. Bought from original owner, who used it as a firewood saw to buck up 2-3 cords of hardwood per year. Cleaned it up, gas-bathed the air filter, retuned the carb, and it fired right up. It will run for 5-10 minutes before shutting down. While this could be a failing coil issue, as these saws are notorious for, the spark plug always comes out dry when it shuts off, not wet. This leads me to believe it may be a carb/fuel delivery issue, not the coil.

Overall in really good shape. Mounts are solid. Missing the piece that allows the air filter cover to stay attached to the filter. Note the chain bites into the handlebar and area clutch side. Missing bar nuts.

I'm reducing my stock of saws and this one is next to go. Comes with 20" bar and chain, .404. The sprocket tip is loose, but might could be salvaged. Otherwise tip replacement is needed. Chain has lots of life left in it but will need sharpening. Couple teeth got dinged on its last firewood cut/testing.

Clutch and sprocket are good, minor wear and buildup. I replaced the fuel cap as the old one didn't seal properly. Doesn't leak gas but does leak oil when sitting. No mag rot on the underside, just scuffing.

I have a new fuel tank vent/hose the dealer made-up.

Asking $600 shipped in the 48.

I also have a spare 056avs/m case available, as well as carb. Coil is on the unit but frayed. No idea if it's good. Missing outer flywheel. Will include for an extra $100. Photos available upon request. Magnum top end available as well in the Parts forum.

Attachments

• 20221019_101203.jpg
    20221019_101203.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_101211.jpg
    20221019_101211.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_101229.jpg
    20221019_101229.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 0
I'm having issues uploading files right now, so should have more up by or before tomorrow morning.

Also, I'll make a good deal if anyone wants the saw and parts-case/carb/top-end.

Couldn't have a better muscle saw on your hands, I've had several of these saws and talk about a powerhouse. But I would be 90% sure that your coil is failing, I've had the same issue on different occasions where I would be either falling trees or cutting wood and the saw will be going great just like you said for the first 5 minutes from cold start give or take and after she warms up if you let it sit for a second at idle it falls right on its face and will not start till she's cooled down 30mins at least that was what would happen when my coils were used up on the 56s. Wish I had the money I'd snap this thing up in a heartbeat and put it with the rest of my saw collection,thanks for sharing and wish you the best. Be safe out there and God bless,JH

Couldn't have a better muscle saw on your hands, I've had several of these saws and talk about a powerhouse. But I would be 90% sure that your coil is failing, I've had the same issue on different occasions where I would be either falling trees or cutting wood and the saw will be going great just like you said for the first 5 minutes from cold start give or take and after she warms up if you let it sit for a second at idle it falls right on its face and will not start till she's cooled down 30mins at least that was what would happen when my coils were used up on the 56s. Wish I had the money I'd snap this thing up in a heartbeat and put it with the rest of my saw collection,thanks for sharing and wish you the best. Be safe out there and God bless,JH

Indeed, they are strong. Nimble too, for the weight. Amazing feel in the hands.

My original intent was for it to go on the mill. But these saws are a bit of a pain to work on.

You certainly could be right about the coil. Yet the dry plug throws a wrench in the idea. And opening and closing the gas cap will allow it to restart without cooling much. So could be a combination of plugged up tank vent and dirty/blocked carb/weak or stiff carb internals.

And if the price is out of line, offers are welcome. Being shipped from NorCal, I have to pad the shipping charge, as I often break even or lose money on shipping.

You don’t have to be an electrician to fix this thing. Once you get to the module it takes about 15 mins to get that squared away, then another 15 to locate and solder in the capacitor to finish. It’s really not bad to do at all.

Back