056 idle problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary wagner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy! New participant here with an odd saw problem I thought someone MUST have run into before, right? Worked in the woods 45 years ago and still have a couple Stihl 056 Mag 2s (ugh!) and a couple 020s... got 3 acres of trees needing maintenance on my place. Ok, one of the 056s I just had a new ignition installed in... starts, idles and runs great when it's still relatively cool... but when it gets good and hot (like after bucking 6 or so 20" rounds), to keep it running between cuts I have to 'idle' it faster and faster and faster 'til I'm nearly at continuous full throttle just to keep it from dying. Eventually I have to give up and grab my other one. Always starts right back up and cuts fine but needs two or three pulls with trigger locked open to get it re-started. Almost seems like the fuel flow just quits between cuts any time it isn't at at least considerable throttle. Can't figure it out. Can fuel pumps heat up and quit working?? Not knowledgeable enough to do exploratory surgery myself and the shop is a long drive and my email consultant is stumped too. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks! gary

PS Oops... I traded up from my 'Super' to my Mag 2s some years after leaving the woods...

Ok thanks! I'll check into that...
If it is a Mag II it is a SEM . Saws lean out as they come up to operating temperature. Try making the idle richer and if you need to open the throttle a little to compensate do it. There is a good chance it is getting air somewhere. Either a crank seal, impulse line, or intake manifold. Could also be that the carb needs new innards.

Oh great. Ok thank you very much. If I make those adjustments and it works that way, will I still be sucking air and ruining my saw?

Oh great. Ok thank you very much. If I make those adjustments and it works that way, will I still be sucking air and ruining my saw?
Heat is what ruins the saw. If it is ran lean while cutting for too long it will literally melt the piston. If you are paying attention it will lose power in the cut and you will know something is wrong. Of course, a lot of people don't and keep me in business.

Back