• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 056 super piston, rings and gudgeon pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still hopelessly searching for the illusive top end for the 056 super. If anyone could help I’d be so appreciative - I refuse to put an am in.
I've 056 parts carcasses but I'm pretty sure all cylinders are shot. I've 2 056M that run not parting those and not sure if the bigger jug can be made to fit?

I know a local Stihl dealer that's been in business since the 70s, he's in his 70s.........whole roomfull of Stihl/Husky.......I'll take a look next time by and see what's there.

Not sure what shipping might be?

Hey mate! Thanks for the offer :) no need for a cylinder and I have tried used pistons before and I always get piston slap so will be needing NOS. If you could check for me that would be amazing!!!
Tom, I can't remember how the " A B C" sizing of Stihl P/Cs go large to small? maybe someone here remembers.

But maybe a used "larger" piston might take up the slop?

Did some searching here is what I’ve found

A = smallest and is **.94mm
B = medium and is **.95mm
C = largest and is **.96mm

Jerry offered me great advice a while ago, worn cylinders can use any piston letter, new cylinders need the same letter.

Therefore even if I had the two extremes - A and C piston, both worn to the same degree, both will essentially slap or not, be too worn or not. .02mm is irrivelant really. Of those 3 pistons, it’s going to be either good, close to worn or worn regardless of the letter.

Let’s say A piston clearance is 0.12mm, C piston will be 0.14. Both are needing replacement.

Not enough of a difference to warrant buying a used piston if even if it’s a C because the clearance isn’t enough to compensate for its wear is what I’m thinking?

See your point didn't realize A-C difference is only 0.02mm/~0.001".

I think your clearances are backwards. Biggest piston C will have least clearance.

Expensive alternative is get together a group buy and have some pistons made. Member here Leeha did that with Wisco, for NLA Dolmar 166 pistons. A friend needed one for his 166 beast, I can't remember what cost was? Was not cheap but quality forged pistons, was 10-15 years ago.

See your point didn't realize A-C difference is only 0.02mm/~0.001".

I think your clearances are backwards. Biggest piston C will have least clearance.

Expensive alternative is get together a group buy and have some pistons made. Member here Leeha did that with Wisco, for NLA Dolmar 166 pistons. A friend needed one for his 166 beast, I can't remember what cost was? Was not cheap but quality forged pistons, was 10-15 years ago.
hi, na didn’t get it wrong way round,
C is biggest piston and the numbers following the ** are millimeters. So when you subtract that number from the cylinder you get your clearance. Bigger number as shown by the letter C will give less clearance between cylinder than the numbers aside the letter A

Ahh I’m not that into the 056 but I’d just love to get some new parts if at all possible :)

hi, na didn’t get it wrong way round,
C is biggest piston and the numbers following the ** are millimeters. So when you subtract that number from the cylinder you get your clearance. Bigger number as shown by the letter C will give less clearance between cylinder than the numbers aside the letter A

Ahh I’m not that into the 056 but I’d just love to get some new parts if at all possible :)
"Let’s say A piston clearance is 0.12mm, C piston will be 0.14. Both are needing replacement."

See above. Bigger piston = less clearance.

Yes bigger piston less clearance.

Example

076 super cylinder is 58.00mm diameter

076 Super A piston 57.94mm diameter
076 Super B piston 57.95mm diameter
076 Super C piston 57.96mm diameter

Piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance:

A piston - 0.06mm
B piston - 0.05mm
C piston - 0.04mm

Latest posts

Back