064 experts wanted!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixfourShanks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently come across what on paper was a smokin deal on a 064.. turns out that wasn’t the case. I knew it needed some TLC based off of who it was purchased from but the more I dug into it the worse it got. For the price I wasn’t at all upset about spending some money on it and having a nice saw but come to find out it has spun a crank bearing “insert” and from the threads I’ve come across there isn’t a true fix to remedy that.

What would a guy expect to pay for a good set of used cases? I understand that the 064 and early 066 are very similar are they so similar that one could take parts from both and make one? ( I know you can tap the 064 for a 066 jug and bolts and that jazz) and don’t mean to sound ignorant I just don’t have alot of experience as far as what interchanges between the two or if anything does. I was kind of under the impression that the 1122 series we’re almost identical.

I guess my question is what is possible and also logical? I don’t mind to spend some money on it to get it lined out but am unsure on what to expect that price range to be with now needing a new case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• CC9656B2-869B-4D7C-B1C9-0625CA0505E6.jpeg
    CC9656B2-869B-4D7C-B1C9-0625CA0505E6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EAB9D9FC-A243-4253-892D-B996A4C00F50.jpeg
    EAB9D9FC-A243-4253-892D-B996A4C00F50.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • EC35D3E1-852E-4FE7-A72F-D311F531353F.jpeg
    EC35D3E1-852E-4FE7-A72F-D311F531353F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
If you go with an 066 case, you'll need the matching oil pump. The oil pumps are proprietary to the respective crankcases.

You'll also need to make sure it's an early 066 case for the crank that uses the metal flywheel. The poly flywheel cranks are
wider and so those crankcases are wider and are not interchangeable.

Prices on parts for the older saws have gone up considerably due to their popularity. I would say it wouldn't be out of line to
pay $100-150 for a nice used set of matching 064 or 066 crankcase halves.

Find someone like me that lives more local- but hoards 064 bottom ends.
Depending on the state of your current smoked bearing 064 top end, get a same vintage 064 case set- its just easier to swap all the parts over.
If you are going to get a short case thin recoil 066 case set- you might as well build a flat top no decomp 066.

a competent machine shop should be able to oversize the bearing journal, press in a sleeve and rebore to correct size.
its not perfect but it does work rather well, that or weld up the case and rebore, thought that could lead to a lot of distortion.
Anyway, parts saws abound for 064's as the coils go dead and are pretty damned hard to replace
If I remember I'll check the scrap heap, there might be a good set of cases in there (though I'm pretty sure they went with my 064 a couple years ago)

Thanks for the info guys! I’m sure I can find a set fairly local. I’ve got a handful of possible sources. I should have been more specific in my op and mentioned that I was curious if a machinist could possibly bring it back to life. There is a guy not far at all that is damn good I’ll have to stop and see him. Thanks again fellas!

Back