066 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnychap

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gday champions. Disclaimer - genuine newbie to chainsaw repairs but really keen to learn.

I’ve just purchased an 066 that was sold very cheap as ‘lost compression, needs rebuild’. Although I literally know nothing or how to really start, it was absolutely cheap enough to buy and give it a shot! I’ve started it, and it fires up as you’d expect but blows a fair bit of smoke so I’m assuming new rings as a minimum. I’ve checked for scoring on the piston just through the exhaust - no visible signs of damage.
I’m thinking I may have ended up with an ok buy here but wondering where to from here to really work out what I need to do..

thanks in advance!

Gday champions. Disclaimer - genuine newbie to chainsaw repairs but really keen to learn.

I’ve just purchased an 066 that was sold very cheap as ‘lost compression, needs rebuild’. Although I literally know nothing or how to really start, it was absolutely cheap enough to buy and give it a shot! I’ve started it, and it fires up as you’d expect but blows a fair bit of smoke so I’m assuming new rings as a minimum. I’ve checked for scoring on the piston just through the exhaust - no visible signs of damage.
I’m thinking I may have ended up with an ok buy here but wondering where to from here to really work out what I need to do..

thanks in advance!
Welcome to AS

Post up some pictures of the saw. You've done good checking the piston. A pressure/vac test will tell you if it has leaks you'll need to fix before tearing it down.

066 are easy to work on, and lots of people here have loads of experience fixing them.

Welcome to AS

Post up some pictures of the saw. You've done good checking the piston. A pressure/vac test will tell you if it has leaks you'll need to fix before tearing it down.

066 are easy to work on, and lots of people here have loads of experience fixing them.
Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated! Will put some pictures up tomorrow. I don’t have the equipment to do a pressure test but will look into it.
Good to hear they are easy to work on, I’ve used a couple before and love them so I’m stoked to have one to look after and bring back to its former glory

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated! Will put some pictures up tomorrow. I don’t have the equipment to do a pressure test but will look into it.
Good to hear they are easy to work on, I’ve used a couple before and love them so I’m stoked to have one to look after and bring back to its former glory
You might want to move this to the chainsaw forum

Back