066 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see now what you’re asking. I’ll check this evening and post.
Took the saw apart and noticed a little too much play with original piston compared to the replacement. Decided to swap it out and it definitely sounds different now. Smoother. The old piston looked great but skirt thickness was slightly off. Always learning the hard way.
View attachment IMG_1440.MOV

It’s cutting good and strong. Just one question about the motor noise. I’ve done a lot of bigger husky saws and the motor isn’t as noisy. This is my first bigger Stihl rebuild. Are they usually this noisy ? Its original piston and cylinder cleaned up. I was thinking of swapping out the piston to see if it’s the piston causing the noise. I had a 288 and a 394 that both sounded cleaner after a piston swap
View attachment 1019995
I had one , and the noise was the bearings .The bearing pockets on the
064s tend to wallow out and I would shut it down and check it , mabey
have to split the case ?

I had one , and the noise was the bearings .The bearing pockets on the
064s tend to wallow out and I would shut it down and check it , mabey
have to split the case ?
Did a total rebuild. Split case, replaced bearings and so on. I’m pretty sure it was piston. After I swapped the piston it seemed to smooth out. thank you for your insight and time. I’m hoping it’s nothing worse.

did you replace the piston with a genuine one ?
i couldnt see where you mentioned about the piston apart from saying you put a new one in.

yeah, that ting ting ting of piston slap, is a bit different from the more echoey sound of a clutch drum/ springs/ shoes moving.

Took the saw apart and noticed a little too much play with original piston compared to the replacement. Decided to swap it out and it definitely sounds different now. Smoother. The old piston looked great but skirt thickness was slightly off. Always learning the hard way.
View attachment 1020431
What was clearances on the old and new pistons?

New should be ~0.0025".

Back