084 Rpm Adjustment Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleKapas

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but wanted to reach out as I am trying to get this saw running top notch

I just rebuilt an 084 saw (new piston, rings, jug, all new hoses and a new carburetor). the saw started up and idles well and spools up. I just got a tach to tune the rpm as I was worried about running the saw too lean and burning the rings. The carburetor is a walbro and it seems as if there are limiters on the high/low adjustments. In total i only have 1.25 turns of adjustment on either screw. the Idle is at 2600rpm and thats as high as I can get it. I can go lower but not higher. After turning the high adjustment all the way that I can go the max rpm is 9600 which I think is low. additionally the saw still seems to bog when cutting a log

I have not run a compression or vacuum check yet to verify the seals (I plan to do that after I swap the carburetors just to compare)
I do have a reverse backfire through the carb occasionally at lower rpm's, this is solved when I remove the muffler but there is nothing in the muffler that is restricting the airflow (i checked the small screen and its clean)

my understanding is that my saw should be achieving 11500 rpm as its the older version saw with the CDIC electronic speed governor. Can anyone shed some light as to why I cant achieve a higher rpm?

OEM carb? Doesn't the flywheel have two keyways in it? If you have a speed limited, it belongs in slot "P".

OEM carb? Doesn't the flywheel have two keyways in it? If you have a speed limited, it belongs in slot "P".
I will verify if the flywheel does have 2 keyways, I didn't look, but if the timing is slightly off then this could definitely play a part. Are the keyways marked?

Back