1 man operation how much wood in a day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to figure out a way to do ten cords per day.
I was wondering if a mill would not do it faster 4+4s
and then cut them to length btw those would be true
cords no air space tightly stacked!

I don't think I'd do it, at least with the bandmill setup I have. When I want all 4x4's etc., I saw 4" thick slabs or flitch's off the log, these I have to slide off, then slide back on to resaw. They can be hundreds of lbs. each. The bandmill has higher operating costs than a splitter. You still need to cut all the 4x4's to length. Fresh sawn lumber thats 'dead stacked' will mold really fast where the faces are together, unlike split wood that always lets air back through. Mold doesn't go over big these days if people are bringing it into their house. Probably something else I've missed too, but you get the idea? I'll stick with the 'old way' :bang:

I don't think I'd do it, at least with the bandmill setup I have. When I want all 4x4's etc., I saw 4" thick slabs or flitch's off the log, these I have to slide off, then slide back on to resaw. They can be hundreds of lbs. each. The bandmill has higher operating costs than a splitter. You still need to cut all the 4x4's to length. Fresh sawn lumber thats 'dead stacked' will mold really fast where the faces are together, unlike split wood that always lets air back through. Mold doesn't go over big these days if people are bringing it into their house. Probably something else I've missed too, but you get the idea? I'll stick with the 'old way' :bang:
Hmmmmm interesting so mold won't make btu's eh:monkey:
I have a grapple to move the heavy's but I can see what your saying
I guess if ya want production a processor is the name of the game
unfortunately I will have to make mine if I want one! I also wondered
about a whole log splitter lay a twenty footer in a jig split the whole

As much as I can. Usually I cut alot for a couple of weeks then split it when I get the chance.:chainsawguy:

One tip I can offer that will up your production by 15% when splitting by hand is to yell "Judo chop!" every time you scwhack a log. It works even better when there are other people around watching you.

One tip I can offer that will up your production by 15% when splitting by hand is to yell "Judo chop!" every time you scwhack a log. It works even better when there are other people around watching you.

Thank you for the laugh. Austin Powers would be proud:)

Thx--I tried it and it works! The only problem is that I woke up the next day with 3X chest hair and nasty teeth.

best i can do is fill my short box twice stacked and split and get it put in the basement. if i didn't have to transport the wood i might get 3 loads in a day.lol :givebeer: :cheers:

For the month of November I did 11 cords. Weekends and after work. Throw in Veterens Day, Election day, and 4 days for Thanksgiving, minus the honey do list and family stuff thats not bad for me. Got this years wood and now starting on next years. :cheers:

For a rough average I figure about 1 hour for each 4x8'x16" rank. That is 1 hour to cut it up(sometimes goes slower or much faster), 1 hour to split and I usually split it small(time can vary a lot),1 hour to load and unload, but then add some time for path clearing, mabe field maintnence on equipment,a look around the woods for cull trees and a little this and that. Sometimes to go knock out fair size trees felling into an open field it can go twice as fast or the underbrush and weather conditions etc. slows things up.

In 2 hours I split and loaded this small truckload from what SawinRedneck and I took down, limbed, and bucked up yesterday. there is another truckload left that was also split in that time still on location.
attachment.php

Here is part of the tree that load came from, there is probably 2 more loads like that in that tree still to be split upafter the two loads I split today
attachment.php

Maybe i am crazy

But i never cut unless someone is with me, To many things that can go wrong, and the wifey dont like me out there by my self.

Hedge

Bowtie, how long do you allow that Hedge to season? Is that for 10-11 ? I usually find some scraps of hedge around, keeping about a cord around for when it gets really cold. All my hedge stocks were burnt during the power outage last year. We went 7 days without power! It was tough this year to build up the supply again.

But i never cut unless someone is with me, To many things that can go wrong, and the wifey dont like me out there by my self.

I hear ya and I agree, BUT, if I only cut when someone else was around I would only be able to cut about a cord/yr. I try to compensate by wearing all my safety gear - chaps, hardhat/faceshield, steeltoed boots etc. Out of all my family and friends I'm the only one who feeds a woodburner and enjoys spending a day doing it.

Latest posts

Back