11hp Briggs governor suddenly on vacation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have several 11hp briggs l head motors. I got a "new" one in a deal that the po couldn't get to run, and the carb on it was a brand new repro. I swapped it onto my tractor I use regular and couldn't get it to run, think it's missing a drilling or something. When I put it in I had to bend the throttle link a little bit. So when I swapped the old carb back on, I had to to bend the link rod back. It started racing and I realized it was bound so I bent it a little more to free it up. Ever since I haven't been able to get the government adjusted correctly. I loosened the clamp but all the way and started it, and the governor barely moved when it spun up to speed.
It seems like somehow the governor broke inside the block? I don't know how on earth I did that unless 1 seconds of over revving could do it. Do I need to open the block up? I don't want to, but I have a parts motor I can harvest from. Currently I have the throttle tied direct to the carb so I can use the tractor, but it sure is annoying to get it warmed up now!

Latest posts

Back