12+ y/o 372xp I just picked up…questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prahanien

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I just grabbed a 372xp in proper working order for $340. Older guy gave me two extra chains, some 50:1 oil, and a seized Stihl 028 WB…

Felt like I got an awesome deal. Anyhow, I have an MS250 that is my daily driver for firewood and little work. Picked up the 372 because I needed a strong saw for some bigger trees occasionally. Used it today for a couple stumps…..crazy pull.

I want to upgrade, mod, etc the 372 as a little pet project and to make it run better. I don’t want to get crazy, no methanol, because I still want to use it normally. Can y’all tell me, or point me to, exactly what I should do to really bring this puppy to life.

I would just service it, and leave it as it is and enjoy it for now, spend some time learning what these things mean, like muffler mod, and timing advance, and once you understand that, then maybe mod your saw, but you have a capable saw, so keep it sharp, keep it well maintained, and enjoy it.
Learn how to diagnose, and fix the 028, and build from there, mods can come later once you get the basics covered.

Back