15lbs of County Garlic Sausage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found two Butt Pork Roast in my freezer, and started the process 2 days ago. I course ground it and then fine ground it all this morning. Cleared the table in the garage and mixed in some Maltec wine along with the Garlic seasoning. I'll let it sit and ferment in the fridge today and over night, then I'll fry up a patty and see if it is good enough. I'll probably put 10lbs of it into links the rest will be for patties.

It has been a good while since I have done this. I had forgotten how much work this is. And once done it goes so fast. $30 of meat for 15lbs of premium sausages -- Tis Good! If I remember the last time I actually bought sausages, several years ago, it was $4 per pound, and was so so on taste, and you can never know what kind of "parts" went into the giant factory processed sausage. I shudder to even think about it.

Pictures tomorrow...

I think I'll run to the store and see if they have any chilies or maybe pick up a jar of peppers.

CIMG0001.JPG

Last time I did this I tossed in some Bear fat. I wasn't all that impressed, and I could taste the bear. These roasts were plenty fatty so no additional fat required. I'll use up the rest of the Bear fat someday.
I’m not even sure I want to know...but I gotta.

Bear fat? As in...fat...from the body of a bear? I...had no idea?

I love to render down fat...but never from a bear. Old ‘boiler’ chickens and ducks, bits of bones from lamb...even goat. But bear?

And sausages? I hear you on the effort. The result can be excellent, but it really is a lot of work.

I’m not even sure I want to know...but I gotta.

Bear fat? As in...fat...from the body of a bear? I...had no idea?

I love to render down fat...but never from a bear. Old ‘boiler’ chickens and ducks, bits of bones from lamb...even goat. But bear?

And sausages? I hear you on the effort. The result can be excellent, but it really is a lot of work.
i have heard bear is good tasting meat... but, i do not know...

I'm already planning my next trip to Walmart to pick up some more pork roasts. :yes:
we was at the grocery couple days ago... a - - man and his - - wife where in the meat section, time i was. i picked up a 4 pk of N Ryan NY Strips... and noted the _ _ man was fussing around with some butts! hmm, i thot! 🤔 bet this guy has a spl way he cooks them. almost asked... but didn't. he got 2

I got the bear, and the neighbor rendered the fat. Really really good fat, pure white and very creamy. Neighbor uses it for biscuits and muffins and for greasing a pan. Great to have around.

The one time I asked the grocery store what they do with their excess fat and they just toss it, as nobody asks for it. The quote they gave me was expensive, as much as the pork or beef it comes from. I just look for fatty pork butts when I make sausages. Plenty of fat, no reason to add additional fat, usually. I asked because I had a recipe that called for additional fat, probably for a cure dried salami I was making. Proved to be unnecessary.

Another 15lbs of sausages. Extra lean, with 2 Pork Loins and 1 Pork Butt. All total I likely have over 120 links and several pounds of ground sausage for burritos and spaghetti. Some of the critical work is done in the garage, that is the unheated garage. Not something to be doing in the dead of winter. I figure I have enough to get me thru to the spring. 👍

Two days ago 20lbs of Pork Sausage seasoning, and this morning 12lbs of Maple Pork Sausage. I am loaded for the winter. What prompted this was $1.99 a pound for boneless Pork Shoulder. That's prices going back >5 years. Freezer is at capacity, else I'd go buy more.

I had some of this for breakfast. Wow!

1667146176104.png

Latest posts

Back