• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 181/281 Parts Saws and various NEW parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumBurner

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
1/10/22 Edit: Both handle bars are gone and the set of two spikes. The single oversized dog is still available. Hi-top cover is sold pending agreement.

Price change to $325 shipped to the 48.

I picked up these two carcasses in a firewood trade to a client who was hurting for money at the time. Seemed like a potential build, but I've moved on to other things and these two saws are just sitting.

Story behind them is a culvert blew out at the client's place and sent a river of water down a narrow gully their house is adjacent to. Saws got washed away. The 281 has little to no sign of water damage from what I've seen. It was found above water. The 181 was found in the gully when the county fixed their culvert and the water subsided. It is caked full of dirt and debris.

I've blown air both directions through the 181 for many minutes. It will need a case split to unlock it and evaluate its condition.

The piston on the 281 looks good from the intake side, just needs a wiping from running rich.

One handle only is included at this time (the thicker 181 handle) as the other is pending sale.

All three recoils work, though will need new rope.

Pro air filter is pretty clean. The plastic Husqy filter has a puncture in one section of fabric.

Two low tops, one had holes broken out of the top for air flow. One high top (HIGH TOP IS SOLD)

Two carbs.

Various plastic components (choke tab) and two electrical switches. No idea if the coils are good or not. Both clutch covers are cracked, but one is likely usable.

Note what's in the photos and feel free to ask questions.

In addition, I picked up a parts lot on here (https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/281-288-oem-parts-lot-100.353413/) which is also included in the sale. Nice used low top with heat shield (slight heat curl at top right and few light scuffs), new opened up muffler, used oil pump, new carb and muffler gasket, and more.

I'll try to upload photos tonite, but my lack of signal strength is often prohibitive of that from home. Otherwise it will be 1-3 days as this storm plays out. I can text photos, sometimes successfully.

I'm looking to get $400 shipped West of the Rockies, $425 East of the Rockies. Any questions feel free to ask. I may be willing to part this one out if I can't sell as a package.

I'm mostly looking for $, but will always entertain 543xp parts, 024av/s parts, 266se/xp parts (especially seals, gaskets, clutches, and other wear items), and other odds and ends.

Bump.

Both handle bars are sold. The set of two spikes is sold, but the oversized dog is still available. Hi-top is pending but most likely sold.

Price change $325 shipped to the 48. First post to be edited.

I may be interested. Are parts compatible between the 181 and 281 so that there are nearly enough parts to make 1 runner potentially? Sounds like a front handle would be needed at least out of all the parts remaining. Thanks!

Thanks for the inquiry.

Parts are compatible between the two series, as well as with the
1/288 models.

There is not, or most likely not, a complete saw between these two units. There are lots of usable parts for someone already building these saws. If the top ends clean up nice, that would be a bonus, but I can't guarantee that.

Cheers!

Back