181SE carb problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, yesterday I see a Facebook post for someone wanting parts for a 288XP.
I have parts and we got chatting.
The deeper the questions got, the more reserves I had.
Long story short- the guy paid WAY too much for a saw cobbled from a parts bin that did not run properly.
Finally decided he had a 181SE bottom end, a few Chinese bits and pieces all cobbled up under a 288XP high top engine cover (even though it was wearing a Chinese low top air filter).

The real downer was the carb- it had a Tillotson HS 163A and as far as my knowledge reaches- that is a 61 to 266 carb is it not?
Anyhow, it was not running well and he took it to the local Husqvarna agents and they pulled it down and told him the needle valve seat was shot and it needed a new carb. Gave it back to him and sent him on his way after saying parts are no longer available.
Just so happened I would be in the town this guy lives in later in the afternoon, so I arranged to pick it up and repair what I could.

Before I start pulling my own 181 apart and my 266 to compare intake parts- can someone positively confirm what I need to fix the intake tract?
Will the dark brown intake block work, throat wide enough to feed the 181 cylinder?
Will the rear air filter mount elbow work if it fits the 163A, is the 181 part larger in the bore?
I know the filter will interchange between most all the low top 2** saws and have spare genuine Husqvarna ones.
I do not have the correct carb in stock- only 288 ones and I dont really want to try and transfer throttle linkages to suit the rod of the 181 style, so need a 216A or B, pretty sure I know someone that will have one, but need to figure out what all else I need.

Can just make out the 181SE on the tag.

image1.jpeg

Starter rope knot was binding the pawls.

image2.jpeg

Old twin thin ring- good- but unobtainium.

image5.jpeg

Incorrect heat range elcheapo spark plug.

image3.jpeg

Welded up deflector and dressed up old muffler- without a gasket.

image6.jpeg

Severe mag rot on one case half.

image1 (10).jpeg

I'm basing this off my own slightly hazy memory, but I'll do the best I can. I recall that my brother's early 281 (basically a 181) had a dark brown intake block so if it lines up right I'd use it. The 163 is a 61/266/272 carb, the throttle shafts off it may swap into a 181 carb, provided it's also a HS, so you might be able to do that instead of sourcing a 181 carb. Lastly, if the filter horn looks like the one below it's the correct one for the saw. If it's black, I don't know if it'll work as I've never encountered a 61/272 that didn't have the single post filter or the big HD filter.
1652071222748.png

I'm basing this off my own slightly hazy memory, but I'll do the best I can. I recall that my brother's early 281 (basically a 181) had a dark brown intake block so if it lines up right I'd use it. The 163 is a 61/266/272 carb, the throttle shafts off it may swap into a 181 carb, provided it's also a HS, so you might be able to do that instead of sourcing a 181 carb. Lastly, if the filter horn looks like the one below it's the correct one for the saw. If it's black, I don't know if it'll work as I've never encountered a 61/272 that didn't have the single post filter or the big HD filter.
View attachment 987036

Thank you for that- have done a bit of measuring and comparing and I believe the dark brown intake block will work, the filter horn is as above and will work, straight through carb bolts will work- all I need is a carb that suits the saw.
Now it seems anyone that has a 216 HS Tillotson is quite possessive of them! Are they that rare? :laugh:
They are here perhaps compared to there.
Have had it suggested a 480CD carb will work, have also had the offer of a free 136C for the 285-2100.
Have a few bigger Jonsered carbs here but they are way too advanced for old Husqvarna saws as they have a separate vacuum hose externally off the cylinder to the carb via hose- not through the intake block and carb body.

I've a 181 carb. But it'll need some deep cleaning and likely a kit.

I can get you the number off it in a day or three. Burning the candle at both ends right now.

Thank you for going to the trouble- I should have come back to this thread and reported I did find a carb here- cost an arm and a leg, but it was genuine and had been cleaned and kitted- the proper Tillotson HS 216 and the saw is back with the original owner and running as it should- although on its first outing with him, it lost the chain adjuster screw and broke the brake band on the AM clutch cover the saw came with (good original 181-288 covers and brakes are unicorn horns here).
The carb you found is, I believe, a 281-early 288 one- governed HS 228A and the shipping cost and time, Internationally from you to me would have been a deal killer most likely.
Thank you for the effort though.

Now would a 136 C go on a 181SE?
Likely to supply too much fuel? :drinkingcoffee:
YES,the 136c
is standard carb for the 2100, and I have used one on my 181/288s
the 136c is a great carb and you should dis able the governor circuit
by pulling the choke shaft out slightly,and unsrewing the large brass
plug.You then need to use a welch plug between the carb body, and the plug.

YES,the 136c
is standard carb for the 2100, and I have used one on my 181/288s
the 136c is a great carb and you should dis able the governor circuit
by pulling the choke shaft out slightly,and unsrewing the large brass
plug.You then need to use a welch plug between the carb body, and the plug.

I will keep that in the memory banks for the next one.
The original saw is fixed, proper OEM carb found and fitted and as far as I know- still cutting wood for the owner.

Thank you for that- have done a bit of measuring and comparing and I believe the dark brown intake block will work, the filter horn is as above and will work, straight through carb bolts will work- all I need is a carb that suits the saw.
Now it seems anyone that has a 216 HS Tillotson is quite possessive of them! Are they that rare? :laugh:
They are here perhaps compared to there.
Have had it suggested a 480CD carb will work, have also had the offer of a free 136C for the 285-2100.
Have a few bigger Jonsered carbs here but they are way too advanced for old Husqvarna saws as they have a separate vacuum hose externally off the cylinder to the carb via hose- not through the intake block and carb body.
the 136 2100 carbs need the governor circuits blocked off

the 136 2100 carbs need the governor circuits blocked off

Do they though?
I mean I understand the gains of a governor bypass and what can happen with a simple blocking of a passage- but do they NEED it, or just in some situations the advanced rpm and chain speed can be advantageous for some users of large CC saws that perhaps stick to 3/8" chain and what might be termed shorter bars?

Back