1997 GMC 7500 65' any input from current or previous owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xmrmadhatter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the forum as well to the arborist trade. I'm currently in the construction business and I have a son in school doing arbor. I'm looking to help him get started out. So my question is about a 1997 GMC 7500 97k miles 1 owner boom over center with a dump chip box gas job with a kubota pony motor $19k . The listing says it has a 65' work hight. I'm checking it out in person tomorrow with my son to go thru it. Any opions from previous owners/users? Anything in particular with this year I should keep an eye out for? Thank you!

I want to be very clear I am not qualified to provide advice on that unit but my belief is you need to much more concerned with the brand , model, and condition of the lift. The truck not as much

Thank you Bill! 👍I have a funny feeling the lift may not be that great of brand. I have asked the guy who makes the lift a few times and he keeps avoiding the question and telling me to see it in person. He has is blured out in the pics, I'm assuming his buisness name is on it.

This is what it looks like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024_194508_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024_194508_Messages.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 0
At least it's an Altec. Get someone who knows bucket trucks to look at it. There are hundreds of very expensive problems that are not visible to the untrained eye. Rotation bearing will be close to 10k if it has slack.

At least it's an Altec. Get someone who knows bucket trucks to look at it. There are hundreds of very expensive problems that are not visible to the untrained eye. Rotation bearing will be close to 10k if it has slack.
Thanks Benjo we checked it out this am. The truck seemed pretty rough the majority of lines look like they would needed to be replaced as well as all around tires . We will be holding off until I learn more about these. 👍

basically, if it has a gas motor, which it has to because that's why it's got the pony to save fuel, hydraulic brakes and a 2 speed rear, it's worthless.
Because the 377 motor gets 2 mpg, anything without air brakes is a problem, especially when you leave it sit a lot which you are probably going to, and nobody can shift a 2 speed anymore.
so, your resale value is zero on that rig.
Most importantly, if the boom hasn't got a current inspection on it, stay away.
for 20k you can get a nice utility bucket truck with a good certification, but it's still really easy to get screwed on these used buckets no matter how hard you try.
you want to look at the hours on the boom more than the mileage on the truck.
the other thing to keep in mind is that a tree truck is used for everything. pulling the chipper, chipping, hauling wood, aerial work, you name it. utility buckets are easier on the cab and chassis.
I just bought a 2000 GMC utility for 18k.
so far, I've rebuilt 2 outriggers, replaced the main collector block and put several hoses on it to the tune of $3,000, and that's with me doing all the repairs. I shouldn't have paid over 14k.
This is what you are jumping into with these old units so be prepared to pay.

Back