1st time doing a carb rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys just bought my 1st carb rebuild kit. Is this something someone can do that hasn't done one before ? Saw runs on gas poured into carb for 5-7 seconds throttle response is normal runs better on run than choke. Fuel lines are good. Never rebuilt a carb before. No fuel is getting to carb I'm guessing since I haven't seen any gas up that far. Diaphram seems alil brittle. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Parts are near obsolete for a Remington super 754.

There are numerous videos that will guide you. Steves small engine repair has some good videos. . Watch that and get some knowledge and then watch another from a different guy. Then dive in and make it happen. First one will be slow but it will get better

what kind of carb is it? Remingtons are not my brand

There are not a lot of differences in the HL carburetors, those are the correct gaskets and diaphragms. Just remember that the fuel pump diaphragm (the tan looking one in the photo) lays flat against the fuel pump body, on the metering side the gasket goes on first, and the diaphragm on top of that.

It is quite common for the fuel filter and gasket to be different so be careful with you take that fuel inlet off as you may end up having to reuse the filter and gasket.

Yours may appear to be "one piece" but the gaskets and diaphragms are separate, just glued together now with the same varnish that made the diaphragms so stiff.

Mark

I took the carb down some #9-10 and #13-14 gaskets were 1 piece? On carb kit and diagrams it's showing 2 gaskets
They are not one piece originally but become so after many years of soaking in old fuel mix. The HL is one of the easiest carbs to work on, parts are much larger than the latest Walbro and Zama carbs.

Hi guys just bought my 1st carb rebuild kit. Is this something someone can do that hasn't done one before ? Saw runs on gas poured into carb for 5-7 seconds throttle response is normal runs better on run than choke. Fuel lines are good. Never rebuilt a carb before. No fuel is getting to carb I'm guessing since I haven't seen any gas up that far. Diaphram seems alil brittle. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Parts are near obsolete for a Remington super 754.
A few thoughts/ TIPS: BEWARE use of air nozzle, lest small parts get blown away to opposite side of the shop; 2) after disassembly, find fuel inlet tube, and follow to diagram chamber, look for very fine mesh screen; if BLACK= dirty, = clean carefully/ gently with a wooden toothpick ; (if CLEAN= it will be bright, shiny silver). 3) ONCE FOUGHT little saw, new fuel lines= start first pull, die after 15-seconds; no problem noted w/ carb, but new carb= NO JOY; finally noted SLIGHT kink in 1-1/8" long line between carb/ primer, trimmed 1/8" and reinstalled straight= CURED (Fuel MUST be able to Free FLOW). GOOD LUCK

The HL would be a great carb for anyone to cut their teeth on, they have the same components that more recent carbs have but are very simple to work on, some would consider them crude compared to todays offerings. Many of the vintage chainsaws used the HL series carbs and they were the first chainsaw carbs I ever rebuilt, I loved the idea that the needle valve seat was removable and the passages were easy to chase out.

Back