1st time doing a carb rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys she's grinning ear to ear from all the support! Carb kit says Monday. Hoping we get it running before Xmas. Kinda want to surprise the old man since he sold his about 30 years ago and probly ran last in the mid 80's. Looking forward to starting it up and having him come out to see what all the noise is about. Luckily strong spark and runs on gas poured into carb.

This may be helpful to a carb newbie

Most of the time the diaphragms are still good. Doing a 7psi pressure test on the fuel inlet before disassembly will help you assess things. If it holds pressure, you can probably reuse existing components. If it leaks down, hold the carb by the tubing to your pressure source and dunk it in a bowl of water. This wont hurt anything since the carb is under pressure. Bubbles along the mating edges show you gasket leaks. Bubbles coming from the venturi are usually from the metering valve. Regardless of the test results, examine the metering diaphragm for distortion and suppleness. Hold it up to a light and look for pinholes. Check the fuel pump diaphragm for deep bowing into unsupported areas - it may have stiffened and stretched. Check the tip of the inlet needle under strong magnification - you don't want to see a prominent indented ring. The valve seat should be smooth and shiny.
Cleaning: I clean the diaphragms and gaskets with WD-40. (The metering diaphragm is almost always stuck to its gasket and I let it be.) If the valve seat needs cleaning, cut a Q-tip in half, moisten the stick end, and dip it in baking soda. This fits nicely in the valve seat. Twirl it with slight pressure to remove crud. The carb block and small parts go into the ultrasound cleaner with water + Dawn. This may be overkill, but it's quick and easy and just might dislodge any gunk under the welch plug. Rinse well and blow out gently. Never put the air hose right up to any orifice (may damage a check valve). Remember to check that the metering lever is at the correct level for your carb. If you replace the diaphragm, measure the plunger length to make sure it matches the old one. On any part, if in doubt, replace. OEM kits are the way to go. Metering side: gasket next to block; fuel pump side: diaphragm next to block. Reassemble and do pressure test. This time it must pass before using. Once you get the hang of it, carb rebuilding is one of the easiest jobs in saw restoration.

How important is it to change these 2 parts. I seen a guy drill out the silver plug kinda like you would a rivet I installed these 3 parts these being the old ones. I need to turn down a 5/16" socket to fit in the hole to remove. It's about 1/32"-1/64" to big to fit

Attachments

• 20211126_143052.jpg
    20211126_143052.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 16379700473053073274869326014272.jpg
    16379700473053073274869326014272.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 16379702179975865930206377164384.jpg
    16379702179975865930206377164384.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
Just in the few large carbs I've run across like that in the chainsaw world, i've never pulled that brass fitting. Only snaked it clean and replaced the rubber seat at the bottom. Smarter people here will weigh in but I wouldn't grind your socket down just yet if you dont have a spare.

Unfortunately the carb I'm working on you can only access that brass fitting from the top. Look like I could chase it with a tooth pic or a single bristle from a brush since the hole is super tiny

If you are going to work on Tillotson HL carburetors you will have to modify a 5/16" socket in order to remove that needle body fitting. If you can't afford a spare socket you may have chosen the wrong hobby... If the carburetor was plugged up with varnish, you may well need to remove the welch plugs in order to get the passages underneath cleaned out. Go to the Tillotson web site and study their information including the proper technique for removing the welch plug. If you are not able to do that you will undoubtedly have some carburetors that you will never get to work correctly. It is not necessary on every single carburetor rebuild but one some that are badly varnished or just thick with old cruddy fuel residue there will be no other option.

Be careful if you drill through the welch plug as there are some tiny ports underneath and you don't want to alter or damage them when the drill breaks through. If you must drill, use a drill press with no slop in the rack and pinion and be very careful when the drill breaks through the plug.

Mark

Meanwhile back at the ranch... on the hl159a I have some questions since I'm new at this carb stuff. I understand where the brass piece goes but gotta pick up my special socket to r & r it. On a tilloston carb video says the lever for the fuel metering is supposed to sit slightly above mine is slightly below. What is the brass screw between the hi and low adjustment screws? I got this paper in the kit not sure where or what they are talking about and all I have left other than the brass fitting to install is 2 o rings and 2 fiber washers??? So the needle with top hat is just that? Or is that part of fuel metering? Thanks guys for bearing with me.

Attachments

• 20211128_101915.jpg
    20211128_101915.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211128_101702.jpg
    20211128_101702.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211128_101521.jpg
    20211128_101521.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211128_101458.jpg
    20211128_101458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Good kit. Got all you need. The o rings and fiber washers go on the adjustment needles. The welch plug is there so you may as well remove the old and clean out under it. A sharp and strong dental pick may help remove the old one. I punch a hole in them and pry out. Don't damage the edges or the little passages underneath (as was suggested). When you install the new one the bump goes up and you seat it down with a punch and it expands to seal.

Thanks rupedoggy!!! Yea a video a gentleman shared with me showed the Welch plug removal. Appreciate the time and knowledge shared! Have a great day. Just needed a vote of confidence moving forward.

Carefully bend the metering lever until it is at the correct height. The brass plug/screw between the adjustment needles is just that, a plug, and you don't need to mess with it. The older parts list describe it as the diaphragm chamber drain screw.

1638135720213.png

This drawing also shows the packing washers which you don't need when you use the o-rings.

Mark

Latest posts

Back