2 cycle oil choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had any trouble with "Stihl HP Ultra" full synthetic and I've not seen any evidence it is dirty or has problems.

Redbull661 put two gallons of Stihl mix through a 661 saw on a new piston and cylinder and then did the same for Husky, Echo and Tru-Fuel. No issues with the Stihl in the tear down:

Any of the top tier oils out there from Amsoil, Echo, Husky, Stihl, etc work great. Mix them accordingly and they should work well for you. Some oils are not intended to be mixed at heavy ratios as they may not burn well. For example, I run a synthetic oil in my dirt bike that is designed for a 32:1 mix.

One other thing to consider is the piston crown of the Ultra ran saw is by far the dirtiest. The most critical part of an engine deposit wise is the piston ring grooves, which I have no doubt the stihl would carbon up over time. As this happens ring mobility goes down and you begin to hammer the rings which shortens their life.
The other thing is the reason Uktra stinks so bad is because it uses an ashless amine dispersent technology just like marine oils run. Makes.sense given ultra was designed to deal with sulfated ash deposit issues when used in 4mix engines.

I never understood why guys cant have a conversation about oil and not get butt hurt. Who cares if its a long standing subject that keeps going in a circles Its just oil and we are on a chat/forum. We all have opinions and experiences and like to share them. Sharing, talking and helping is the point of this forum.

When people hear what they dont want or they hear somthing that contradicts their own experiences they get mad or defensive instead of trying to have a conversation about it. My last oil choice I thought was the best yet. Well it was for me at the time. Then someone introduced me to their experiences. I learned some things and now i dont use that oil anymore.

Thick skin required.

Iv used
Echo
Sthil hp
Husky xp
Amsoil saber
Dominator
Redline
Motul 800

Iv had similar experiences at different mix ratios with all of them (but one that i dont have hardly any time on yet) and that is ....they all run dirty and cause what I personally think is to much carbon. Some more than others.

Im no professional, just some joe shmoe that wants to run a oil that seems to be the best from the things iv read/seen/heard myself or from others and their experiences.

Hope You fellas have a good day and if you don’t like oil threads you don’t have to be in one.

I’ve been in an oil thread on another form for five years and it still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understood why guys cant have a conversation about oil and not get butt hurt. Who cares if its a long standing subject that keeps going in a circles Its just oil and we are on a chat/forum. We all have opinions and experiences and like to share them. Sharing, talking and helping is the point of this forum.

When people hear what they dont want or they hear somthing that contradicts their own experiences they get mad or defensive instead of trying to have a conversation about it. My last oil choice I thought was the best yet. Well it was for me at the time. Then someone introduced me to their experiences. I learned some things and now i dont use that oil anymore.

Thick skin required.

Iv used
Echo
Sthil hp
Husky xp
Amsoil saber
Dominator
Redline
Motul 800

Iv had similar experiences at different mix ratios with all of them (but one that i dont have hardly any time on yet) and that is ....they all run dirty and cause what I personally think is to much carbon. Some more than others.

Im no professional, just some joe shmoe that wants to run a oil that seems to be the best from the things iv read/seen/heard myself or from others and their experiences.

Hope You fellas have a good day and if you don’t like oil threads you don’t have to be in one.

I’ve been in an oil thread on another form for five years and it still going strong

I'm curious as what your opinion of dirty is? And I don't ask this with any mallace.

I'm curious as what your opinion of dirty is? And I don't ask this with any mallace.

Just mean carbon. All I’m doing is trying to minimize the amount. There are a few of them have created much less than others.

Thick skin required.

Iv used
Echo
Sthil hp
Husky xp
Amsoil saber
Dominator
Redline
Motul 800

Because it always come around to the same name calling finger pointing and in general no one like the oil the other guy runs. Its perfectly normal, and it ultimately boils down to run whatever you'd like. There are so many good oils out there it ultimately doesnt matter.

I have been working off and on cutting pulp for 50 years.I have used saws that used 8to1 oil to gas mix.Most of the saws in the first twenty years were 20to1 the old oils were automobile oil.There were very very few saws that failed due to the oil.Over the years I have probably talked to several thousand of men who cut wood for a living 5 days a week.In all the converastions I had I never heard anyone say that one batch of gas was unbearable to take but another was like a breath of fresh air.I never heard anyone say Shell oil aggravated their sinuses but Esso was okay. I never heard a cutter say I had to go back back to camp on Monday because my gas mix was too smelly The only fuel related one that stands out in my mind is a couple of guys said and I agree ethanol gas fumes are hard on the eyes when cutting.
Kash

I think he being a faller for 35 plus years and building saws for almost as long and the research he does makes him qualified !!
Being a to notch faller, or engine builder doesnt in any way make one qualified to discuss lubrication in and of its self. Nice guy, but clearly he mis interprets certain aspects and is just flat out mistaken in others.

I use premixed Aspen 2 stroke fuel or Stihl 4 mixed (1:50) with Motul Offroad 800. Will never go back to pump fuel with small engines.

Back