2 points of tie in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve understood the ansi z133 states a that climber requires 2 means of attachment when using a chainsaw. I do not own this manual….yet. Just heard a webinar that seemed to state 2 means of attachment at all times. It was a little ambiguous but seemed to imply all times. Can someone with some better understanding please guide me on this please?

2 points unless you are repositioning.
That certainly seems the safest. Personally I don’t like anything above 40ish feet without 2 points. Not talking about cutting, just climbing. Just feel more secure and can take weight off spurs with overhead. But, I’m green. In 2 years I may find it totally acceptable to spur and flip up 80’. Time will tell

Just an aside. That 2nd point of attachment is a lot better if it stabilizes your position and isn't attached at the same point as your primary tie in.

Stuff happens. If your 2nd tie-in isn't where the 1st one was at, you might have a much better outcome.
I know several climbers that have had nearly fatal falls. All because the wood they were tied to broke off. When you are standing on a lonely spar throwing down chunks, that sure cuts down on your options, though.

Just an aside. That 2nd point of attachment is a lot better if it stabilizes your position and isn't attached at the same point as your primary tie in.

Stuff happens. If your 2nd tie-in isn't where the 1st one was at, you might have a much better outcome.
I know several climbers that have had nearly fatal falls. All because the wood they were tied to broke off. When you are standing on a lonely spar throwing down chunks, that sure cuts down on your options, though.
Great point. Yeah, you can’t be absolutely certain of any TIP. Any defect could be present and not noticed from the ground. I use a monocular to aid but it’s not perfect

Crazy thing….. just watched a video on TIP breaking and a 30’ fall. Lived but it was bad. Tree looked good from video. Not sure the species.

Always two points when using the chainsaw. Two broad tie in points for balance sometimes. Two points including adjacent trees if the tree I am in is sketchy. One when climbing up generally. Just easier to move up quickly And efficiently.

You don't need to buy the ansi 133 or the a300 they are free to download. The 133 is the safety standard and the a300 is the standard for pruning.
The file startin with bte is the ansi133

Attachments

• ANSI 300- Pruning Standards.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BTE-36027 Arboriculture Safety Manual NO WATERMARK_201906040740089257.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
I think you tree climbers are nuts to begin with. My dad used to be a lineman for the TVA. climbed poles and towers working high voltage. He climbed trees to attach pull lines. I never learned to climb, always wanted to, but just couldnt get the hang of it. Safest place for me to tie in is about waist high off the ground.

Latest posts

Back