2 Stroke Oil - How Much is Really in the Bottle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp19

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I needed to mix a gallon of 40:1 the other day. I had a couple of of 6.4 ounce bottles of WoodlandPRO full synthetic oil handy. So I took a large graduated syringe and removed 3.2 ounces and mixed the gas. The bottle felt a bit lite with the other 3.2 fl ounces in it so I poured that into the syringe. What was left was well below 3.2 ounces.

So is my Chinese syringe not accurate or was there not 6.4 ounces of oil in the bottle to start with? To find out I ordered some Class A (+/- .25ML) graduated cylinders. The syringe appears to be relatively accurate. I opened a sealed 6.4 ounce/188ml bottle of oil. After waiting well past the time it stopped dripping into the cylinder there is only 180ml (really about 179.3 but I am rounding up to help account for oil left in the bottle)in the cylinder. That is 95.7% of what should be there. The measurements from the other bottle, while not as precise, were similar.

180ml is 6.086 fluid ounces. This would result in a 42.06 :1 mix instead of a 40:1 mix. Instead of 50:1 that would be 52.58:1

First bottle measured at 5.9oz for 43.4:1 instead of 40:1 The measurements on the first bottle were not as precise as those of the second bottle. However, the results were similar.

Has anyone else ever precisely measured to see how much oil is in the bottle? Do variations of mix ratio of these amounts matter?

John

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_114206337.jpg
    IMG_20211002_114206337.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I buy 2 stroke oil by the gallon. Never bothered with those little bottles. But either way that small variation isn't going to hurt anything. O do believe they are filled by weight and not by volume. Either way it's machine filled and error can and does occur.

Hello,

I needed to mix a gallon of 40:1 the other day. I had a couple of of 6.4 ounce bottles of WoodlandPRO full synthetic oil handy. So I took a large graduated syringe and removed 3.2 ounces and mixed the gas. The bottle felt a bit lite with the other 3.2 fl ounces in it so I poured that into the syringe. What was left was well below 3.2 ounces.

So is my Chinese syringe not accurate or was there not 6.4 ounces of oil in the bottle to start with? To find out I ordered some Class A (+/- .25ML) graduated cylinders. The syringe appears to be relatively accurate. I opened a sealed 6.4 ounce/188ml bottle of oil. After waiting well past the time it stopped dripping into the cylinder there is only 180ml (really about 179.3 but I am rounding up to help account for oil left in the bottle)in the cylinder. That is 95.7% of what should be there. The measurements from the other bottle, while not as precise, were similar.

180ml is 6.086 fluid ounces. This would result in a 42.06 :1 mix instead of a 40:1 mix. Instead of 50:1 that would be 52.58:1

First bottle measured at 5.9oz for 43.4:1 instead of 40:1 The measurements on the first bottle were not as precise as those of the second bottle. However, the results were similar.

Has anyone else ever precisely measured to see how much oil is in the bottle? Do variations of mix ratio of these amounts matter?

John
I always measure the amount of oil I put in from quart size bottles.

Finding out I was shorted on my 2 cycle oil would get me mad. However, just think how many millions of dudes thought they were getting a 50/1 mix but were really running 55/1 and it never mattered. As for me, I measure almost all my oil . I use the quart bottles for my outboard and it sais how many ounces on the side most times. How accurate , I'm not sure , but it never mattered. I run 64/1 on most everything now days. Just 2 oz. per gallon and forget it. Never had a problem , even when I ran 128/1 with my Amsoil for years in my outboard. I figured, oil is cheap enough that it is not worth taking a chance. I have run my 25 horse Merc sinse new, July , 1997. I run it quite a bit and has never been a problem.

Latest posts

Back