2003 ford f450 super duty chip truck - suspension/leaf springs? upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylee10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
for the last year I have been using a 2003 f450 chip truck with a 6.0L diesel engine in it. I'm only pulling a 75xp bandit but I have been thinking about putting a metal box on it and I need some more info on the suspension and leaf springs. I know that most would say go out and get a 7.3L diesel but there hard to come around where I live. Anyways I got a steal tool box and steal dump bottom with a wood box built on the back.

I feel like the suspension when fully loaded with chips seems I bottom out in the front on tight corners. so i don't fill it up often unless I really have too. I was told the leaf springs can out live there suspension after a while. maybe the truck can't handle all the chips. I do know the truck use to carry a water tank or salter before I bought it. I only have 164 000 kms on the engine.

i have seen lots of f450s on the net with the same setup. so I know it can work. I'm thinking of upgrading the leaf springs. I have HD super duty leaf springs on it and was told the oem ones are 4500 lb leaf springs and I should go with a 8000lb leaf spring! do you think 8000lb leaf spring on the rear and maybe some upgraded shocks on the front will do the trick? I'm posting a photo of my rig.

I don't want to spend all this money fixing the box and it can't handle the weight of it. please let me know your thoughts and experiences on this or if you had the same experience?

Attachments

• 90082763_2880082015379778_3175808091220344832_n.jpg
    90082763_2880082015379778_3175808091220344832_n.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9
First the 7.3 was a fine engine but I’d rather have the 6.0 that you have. Anyway, I don’t know about specific spring rates or loads for the truck but if you have a custom spring shop near by they can help. My buddy had a local shop make him a new pack for his 4500 dodge, I've never seen that truck touch the overload springs when pulling his chipper and full of chips. Air bag are a nice adjustable option too.

Have you ever weighed your truck empty and full to figure out if your overweight when full? Steel and wood boxes are pretty heavy. I gained about 400lbs payload ability when I switched from steel/wood to aluminum box on my F350.
You can put as many leafs in as you want but it doesn't change your max legal weight for each axle and the whole truck as stated on the door sticker.
If your not concerned about being legal or not just put as much spring as you can fit/afford under there and haul away!

Back