200lb maple toad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This one wasn't as easy for me as I thought it would be, but I think it turned out alright in the end.
When I see a toad, I see a warty ball with legs and bulging eyes and not much more, so trying to turn that into some carveable features was a bit of a challenge for me.
The texture was a new one for me that turned out to be quite time consuming with the saw. If there's a quicker/easier way I'd like to find it!DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0036_01.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

This one wasn't as easy for me as I thought it would be, but I think it turned out alright in the end.
When I see a toad, I see a warty ball with legs and bulging eyes and not much more, so trying to turn that into some carveable features was a bit of a challenge for me.
The texture was a new one for me that turned out to be quite time consuming with the saw. If there's a quicker/easier way I'd like to find it!View attachment 902182
View attachment 902183
View attachment 902184
View attachment 902185
View attachment 902186
View attachment 902187
View attachment 902188
View attachment 902189
Omgosh! That is spectacular!!! The eyes, skin texture, warts - Absolutely perfect!
Love the finish, what did you use?

The texture was a new one for me that turned out to be quite time consuming with the saw. If there's a quicker/easier way I'd like to find it!View attachment 902182
View attachment 902183
View attachment 902184
View attachment 902185
View attachment 902186
View attachment 902187
View attachment 902188
View attachment 902189
Super nice.

Omgosh! That is spectacular!!! The eyes, skin texture, warts - Absolutely perfect!
Love the finish, what did you use?
Thanks guys!
For the finish I just gave it a good deep burn with the weed torch and then hit the high spots with the flap sander on my angle grinder.
Then I brushed on coat of Minwax Golden Pecan and sealed it with a few coats of spar urethane.

That really is amazing!
How did you make the skin texture?
That was just a random pattern of small touching circles I did with my 170 and carving bar. Time consuming and repetitious but I really couldn't think of any other way to do it.

Nice work Wooly. Most of my woodcarvings have been done with gouges, knives, etc. Actually I use whatever tool will do the job. With that said, I want to congraduate you on a fine job. I love the way you finished it. In the future if it were me, I would work with a softer wood as it would help free up alot of time. As per your question about the detailing of the toads body texture, I would recommend that you ad a die grinder to your tool collection. I believe it is Lansalot or Sir Arthurs who makes a chain that fits on the grinder. It is a chainsaw chain and uing it with the grinder may give you a bit more control over what the larger chainsaw was providing. Just somethings to think about for that next great carving of yours. Terry

Latest posts

Back