2010 Woodsman 750 Chipper - Engine Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INAGabriel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi tree friends,

I own a 2010 woodsman 750 wood chipper (16-inch drum). The engine was diagnosed with "catastrophic engine failure" and I was hoping to find a suitable replacement engine for my machine. The engine serial number is 44407988, the engine family is C4-4ACERT, and the arrangement number is 295-2163, and the engine part number 27100048. It is a 140hp Caterpillar diesel engine. I've spoken at length with Terex about sourcing a new engine for the unit and worked a length with Caterpillar about my options. Cat no longer manufactures that specific engine and cannot acquire a new one (if one was available they priced it at $14,000 which beats the rebuild price by a mile). They quoted me a long block rebuild at $33,000 and it was also open-ended from what I gathered in the language of the quote... It seemed to me like they didn't want to do it or they had no clue how long it would actually take/if they could even get it functional again. The rebuild price is not feasible for me to go ahead with it for a "maybe". I would like to find a new engine or a used one I could plop in that would fit properly. I was able to find out that 140hp Cummins and 140hp John Deere's were also put in the 2010 woodsman 750 models. I tried sourcing an engine through JD but was unsuccessful in finding the right contact to understand what I was looking for. My contact at Terex said, "I would stay away from a Cummins." Does anyone know why he felt the need to say that or is it just a brand loyalty sort of comment? Long story short, I would like help finding an engine I can put in the machine to get the gem crushing logs again. I don't know the appropriate part numbers for the JD or Cummins engine that would fit my machine. I was given a few engine part numbers for the JD engine by my Terex contact they are PE4045HF285 and ES30115 both of which crossed the eyes of every JD person I tried to talk to so I'm assuming those numbers are incorrect but I put them in here in case it helps. I very much like the machine and it worked flawlessly as a beast until its heart gave out on me. Everything else on the machine works perfectly fine. It's equipped with the hydraulic crush feed weel, the hydraulic trailer jack, all the nice bells, and whistles, etc... I'm having a hard time giving up on it and would not be able to purchase one as nice with all the same features new. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, ladies and gents.

Attachments

• IMG-3376.jpg
    IMG-3376.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Sounds like they didn't want to touch it. I did a little internet sleuthing and found this place in Chicago.
https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/caterpillar-c44-engines-for-sale-i4c235f5m366311
Good luck!
Hi Lee,

Thanks for doing some internet hunting on my behalf. I'm no engine mechanic by any means. Will the same engine family work on the chipper or do I need to find the same engine family as well as the specific arrangement number? Basically, I'm asking if I picked up any C4_4 engine could I throw it on my chipper and expect it to fit?

Hi Lee,

Thanks for doing some internet hunting on my behalf. I'm no engine mechanic by any means. Will the same engine family work on the chipper or do I need to find the same engine family as well as the specific arrangement number? Basically, I'm asking if I picked up any C4_4 engine could I throw it on my chipper and expect it to fit?
I don't know for sure. I think that's a conversation you would need to have with the engine seller. I'm not sure on the interchangeability between these engine series.

I might be able to help you.

Are you still looking for an engine? Please understand that John Deere and Cummins engines have different motor mounts and they would have to be reconfigured adding a lot of cost. You would have to reconfigure the motor mounts, radiator, muffler, and air cleaner assembly.

Feel free to call me at 770-420-6400 and I might be able to help you.

Thanks!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Latest posts

Back