2018 gardens and plots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
started most of my plants in the indoor green house around march 15th... still frozen ground and lots of snow/frost yet to be turning any ground just yet! plants go in the garden on or near the 15th of may, depending on temps and frost warning....our usual late & last killing frost is as late as june 6th... one year planted above ground plants 3 times being eager for the growing season.

You are probably seeing the big white one in the background! LOL!!! -- No commercial grow, just donate them to anyone who wants some.--Most of them go to the Home Sweet Home Mission 20 miles from here. They use tons of onions, taters, and sweet corn, so we grow/haul produce to them, don't know how many more years the ole health will allow us to do it!
We process a lot for our own use and live mostly from it during the following year, so we kinda live from the garden all year.
We have several kinds that do good here, some are for the south, BUT seam to like it here too.
I think the important thing is lot's of fert., water, and keep weed free, ground loose helps too! thanks; sonny580

I'll be planting my garden in a few weeks. We sill are down in the 30's at night.

I'm planting sweet corn, green beans, onions, tomatoes, peppers, peanuts, lettuce, sweet potato's, pumpkins, cucumbers, and strawberries.

I've never planted strawberries. I ordered 25 plants of burpee.com. I built a raised bed. They won't ship them out to me until April 9th.

Does anyone have tips/advice on planting the strawberries and making sure they grow properly? (first time for me)

I planted 60 potato hills yesterday, peas and onions are in, couple hundred seedlings coming up and waiting to be transplanted

Attachments

• 20180310_160203.jpg
    20180310_160203.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180313_171438.jpg
    20180313_171438.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180313_171454.jpg
    20180313_171454.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180314_131355.jpg
    20180314_131355.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180314_152111.jpg
    20180314_152111.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180314_152118.jpg
    20180314_152118.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 15
Lookin' good, guys!--Strawberries--YA!!--they good, but lotta work,! been growing them for near 40 years here. Ok.--start by tilling/working ground to good planting texture. In the process you can put some fert. ( I use triple 10 or 12), and mix it in.---I always plant on 12" spacing, ( the new runners will fill in if you allow them to.) When planting, they suggest to plant just deep enough that the crown is just at surface. ( too deep is not good).---Keep weeded and a little cultivation helps too. I usually sprinkle a little preen over the top to help keep weeds down. also top dress with more fert. during growing season and water a lot will also help.
Strawberry beds do need a regular water supply,--either hand water , or set up a tank and drip watering system, ( IF you feel like it!!) Here I don't keep the watering up like I should, but have had super crops even so. The two main things are water, and no weeds!! LOL!!! ---Plant them and enjoy!!! thanks; sonny580

Lookin' good, guys!--Strawberries--YA!!--they good, but lotta work,! been growing them for near 40 years here. Ok.--start by tilling/working ground to good planting texture. In the process you can put some fert. ( I use triple 10 or 12), and mix it in.---I always plant on 12" spacing, ( the new runners will fill in if you allow them to.) When planting, they suggest to plant just deep enough that the crown is just at surface. ( too deep is not good).---Keep weeded and a little cultivation helps too. I usually sprinkle a little preen over the top to help keep weeds down. also top dress with more fert. during growing season and water a lot will also help.
Strawberry beds do need a regular water supply,--either hand water , or set up a tank and drip watering system, ( IF you feel like it!!) Here I don't keep the watering up like I should, but have had super crops even so. The two main things are water, and no weeds!! LOL!!! ---Plant them and enjoy!!! thanks; sonny580

Thanks!

I got them planted two days ago. Now....today we have 2-3" of snow LOL

Just my luck.

Hoping for the best. I'm tilling up the rest of the garden next week when it dries up.

I'll post some pictures once I get the whole garden planted.

Looks like a couple inches of snow this morning, BUT also 9* temp at 3 am!!!----It's gonna get interesting this year for sure! The flowers and trees here have been holding back, and I kinda expected this may have been the reason,---They knew it was coming! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny580

Got a late start but got the ground opened up yesterday hopefully for it to dry out some so it will be easier to till in a few days. Been raining a lot but hoping to get the ground ready before the planting day on 4/16 down here. Using my grand dads tiller he tilled his garden with for 30+ years before he passed.
7b44ab34499104fb7a9d1c999a75e536.jpg

It’s like this without the brush guard on the front. Still in that good of condition as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks good!--Is that a TB horse model? I use 4 horses around here, mostly for cultivating purposes.--The first pass is usually with the 72" KK on the tractor. In 2 of the smaller gardens, I use the 917-H and the 36" tiller on it.
Been trying to get seals and tines put on the main horse, also have to put new drive chains in the 36" simp. unit.--broke a chain connector link and since the unit is so hard to work on decided to just put all 3 chains in new!
Still don't have taters planted yet, still too wet! thanks; sonny580

Looks good!--Is that a TB horse model? I use 4 horses around here, mostly for cultivating purposes.--The first pass is usually with the 72" KK on the tractor. In 2 of the smaller gardens, I use the 917-H and the 36" tiller on it.
Been trying to get seals and tines put on the main horse, also have to put new drive chains in the 36" simp. unit.--broke a chain connector link and since the unit is so hard to work on decided to just put all 3 chains in new!
I have 4 riders with tillers and a Wheel Horse D series about to get a 52" shaft drive tiller along with my 5 horse Montgomery Wards 5hp 4 speed front tine tiller. I've got things tilled up, just takig turns running them over the yard to aerate a little and drive the moles crazy.
DSCF3383.JPG
DSCF3810.JPG
DSCF3016.JPG
20150920_161642.jpg
20170317_111320.jpg

It is. I got the belts adjusted on this one today. Needs new ones but I think they will last for now. Probably will change them in the winter. Hoping now that I got the top scraped a little the dirt will dry out faster so I can till and get the ground ready for planting soon!

Did get the spuds planted yesterday, and 1 more row of peas, temp was 70* and muggy.--today its cold, trying to rain and storms moving thru.--forecast looks like cold temps. for next several days around here!--- none of the first planted seeds are coming up yet and may not due to cold ground temps. thanks; sonny

Snow is getting gone. Ground is still froze though. Granted I've hit frost in July before too. Been melting quick since it's been in the 40s-50s. They are talking about it getting up to 60* this weekend (F that, too frigging hot!)

The farm next door I guess was talking about starting to work some of the fields in 2-3 weeks. Not sure when they will plant.

Got my ground tilled up. Going to get 2-3 inches of rain tomorrow and then temps drop down to the thirties Monday and Tuesday night. Planning on tilling in fertilizer next week and then planting seeds and tomato plants after the cold nights. Was hoping to fertilize before the rain but ran out of time.

Snow again today , -- temps. down to 25* again tonight!---Yesterday,-- I dug a couple of horseradish plants and made some high powered topping for like fried taters, meat, etc. and this time we put in a little mayo.---still tasty, (HOT!) and will work.--It got later than I normally dig it, but weather has kept the plants sorta dormant yet so I decided, now or never!!
After cutting the crowns into sections I re-planted them at the ends of the onion rows, and then saw some radishes coming up in the last row!
Anybody else do horseradish??? I have a ton of plants here in several places around the gardens!
How is the weather treating you guys?? thanks; sonny580

Still too cold to put much of anything out in the garden this week. Maybe next week, but I will probably wait until early May, if the weather finally gets to 'near normal'.
My plants/starts indoors are all doing well. Lots of pepper (4 varieties, 2 are hot), tomato (3 varieties, 1 is cherry), eggplant (2 variety), kale plants, and green onion. I can at least get the kale and green onion out to the garden by the end of the month.
Looking forward to this gardening season.

Anybody thinking about the ole garden for 2018??? We are starting to get seed orders in, and have onion and sweet potato plants on order. (the plants ship at planting time in this area) . We also are testing the germination of our home saved seeds too.
What are your garden plans, and what equipment do you use?---Always interesting to hear how different areas, regions, do as to tillage, planting, varieties that did well for you in the past, etc.!
Jump in and lets do a season long thread, if possible!---I like to compare notes and share what works for us! thanks; sonny580
41" of snow on da ground around here,so,not so much..****** spring,gonna hurt local deer herd

Latest posts

Back