2018 gardens and plots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my corn in the ground last week. Haven’t had time, and the ground has been swamped from a lot of rain, but I’m hoping to get the other seeds in the ground towards the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We've got six sixty foot rows of Silver Queen, Ambrosia cantaloupe, Crimson sweet watermelon, in the ground. Roma bush beans up along with Vision corn, blue lake bush beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and collards. Fig cuttings are coming up.

Garden tilling spring 4-7-2018 032 resized.jpg
Garden tilling spring 4-7-2018 009 resized.jpg
IMG_0336 resize.jpg

Thanks!

I've had the Troy Bilt tiller since 1982 I believe. Bought in new for $1,200.
So maybe my grandads is closer to mkd to late 80s then. Not sure when the horse tillers had the 8 hp Kohler engines on them. Anywbo hoping to slowly expand my garden a little each year depending on how well it goes each year lol.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

So maybe my grandads is closer to mkd to late 80s then. Not sure when the horse tillers had the 8 hp Kohler engines on them. Anywbo hoping to slowly expand my garden a little each year depending on how well it goes each year lol.

Mine has the 8hp Briggs IC. The 7hp Kohler was also available in 1982 and also a 6hp Tecumseh all on the Horse model. A tip I read years ago was to over fill with motor oil due to the bad angle the engine is at during deep tilling. I do not know if that applies to the Kohler motor or not. The Kohler should be a great motor too but I don't know what year the 8hp Kohler was offered. This Briggs is original.

Hold on a minute young wippersnapper!

Your Grand dad's? :laugh:

What ya saying?

Mine has the 8hp Briggs IC. The 7hp Kohler was also available in 1982 and also a 6hp Tecumseh all on the Horse model. A tip I read years ago was to over fill with motor oil due to the bad angle the engine is at during deep tilling. I do not know if that applies to the Kohler motor or not. The Kohler should be a great motor too but I don't know what year the 8hp Kohler was offered. This Briggs is original.

Hold on a minute young wippersnapper!

Your Grand dad's? [emoji23]

What ya saying?
Lol yup inherited it so going to give my first go at a garden this year! My grandad must've known about that truck because it is slightly over filled (he's been gone several years now so I can't ask him, actually I wouldn't have inherited it because he would still be using it lol) but so far it has ran great even though it hasn't really been cranked in probably 10-12 years. It is leaking a little gear oil around the rear seal so plan to tear that down this winter and put new seals in.

Too cold to plant here. Still running the wood stove at night, been in the 30s. Another week or so and my yard might be dry enough to do the spring cleanup on it.

Temps have been pretty mild the past week or two but we have still had frost up until late last week. Winter doesn’t seem to want to go away even for us down in Alabama. Rain has been crazy too always heard plant on Good Friday for us down here, but have rarely seen anyone planting anything so far. Most people have just got the ground tilled and several I saw need to retill due to just letting the grass grow back up bad.

onions, tatos , peas, some of the first sweet corn, a few assorted transplants, turnips, radishes, beets, carrots all up.--Sweet potatoes are planted and EVERYTHING needs water!! I been carrying what I can to some of the stuff.--even the fruit trees are suffering.--Hot temps, high winds, and NO rain is taking a toll on plants right now!! thanks; sonny580

Still no rain of any amount! ---- will keep hauling water as long as I can.

20180519_101353.jpg

20180519_101403.jpg

20180519_101319.jpg

20180519_101423.jpg

Top 2 pix. are the regular spuds and the next one ispart of the onions.--Last one is the sweet potato plants,--they just getting started so not real easy to see the plants in the pix. thanks; sonny580

I wish I could get my soil that tilled up. Got too much clay around here for that

My tomatoes are in the ground, my fruit trees are planted. Green beans, zukinni squash, carrots, potatoes and onion sets next.

Picked Roma bush green beans three days ago. Planted on April 1., so about 67 days from seed to first harvest.

Tomatoes in their cages are 5ft. tall. Broccoli in coming in good. Started the plants from seed about March 1.

Did finally get a bit of rain,----2.51" according to our lectronic gauges!-- came kinda fast,-- the equiv. of 3.76" per hour!--- some of it did run off but the taters soaked up a bunch in the furrows.
Have beans flowering, also maters. Sweetcorn is from a foot to 2 feet tall, peanuts are starting to grow now 4 to 6 inches tall. taters are 3 to 4 feet tall and blooming heavy. sweet taters are running and some are 3 feet long. they look good so far.
Have more pix. when I get them from the phone to the computer. thanks; sonny580

We've got six sixty foot rows of Silver Queen, Ambrosia cantaloupe, Crimson sweet watermelon, in the ground. Roma bush beans up along with Vision corn, blue lake bush beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and collards. Fig cuttings are coming up.

View attachment 648282 View attachment 648284 View attachment 648285

Here is the same garden about 50 days later. Silver Queen is just starting to tassel. Been eating broccoli for a month. Cabbage soon to harvest. Picked green bush beans four times. We plant bush beans every two weeks or so.

Garden 6-13-2018 004.JPG
Garden 6-13-2018 003.JPG
Garden 6-13-2018 002.JPG
Garden 6-13-2018 001.JPG

Back