2019 Ms 461 performance mod questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KodiakForge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, just got a new 461 been reading and planning to mod this saw for working. I’ve read a lot of this and that back and forth on various topics so I was hoping to get a more specific less confusing answers to what mods would be worth while on a new 461. My thoughts plans were fairly simple, unlimited coil, dual port muffler and unlimited carb. I’m unsure about muffler ports as I’ve heard muffler comes good to go and others say it’s too constricting and needs opened up. Not sure who’s right and or why people have varying opinions on it but I’m curious. Also wondering about coils. I’ve heard/read that you can gap 3rd pole so it doesn’t register. Does anyone have details on how this affects timing advance and what the pros/cons are in molding coil if advance changes as a side effect. Ive also heard people cut it off and somewhere I’ve read some have done both and still had a limited saw. I don’t want to hack away at it aimlessly. I’d rather swap coils or gap 3rd pole out of contact with magnet if that’s possible. Any instruction or detailed info on the unseen workings of these mechanisms would be appreciated.
Only mods I’ve done to a saw so far is muffler mod and of course limiter cap removal if you can call them mods. Anyways looking for details and a greater understanding of the workings of these saws. I guess the main thing is I want to get as much as I can from the saw without ruining it. Although if I did I am capable of fixing it back to stock with new parts I still don’t know all the advanced info just yet. I’m teaching myself so sometimes lessons are hard learned. Hoping to avoid any problems. Thanks

Latest posts

Back